XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Sep 3, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #3,439 of 3,865
  O.K. I know why the measurement is so low; It's because 3.3V ldo only supply XMOS's peripheral pin and isolation chips. So it's just part of the total power consumption.

Ah no worries, thanks so much for measuring.  I guess I may as well replace with ADP150 as they came in packet of 5.

Thanks also regarding the Salas.  It looks like it would have been much more complicated to put together and wire anyway (although the documentation seemed good).  LT3042 will serve well to cut my teeth.

Sep 3, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #3,440 of 3,865
A Singxer SU-1 review here : http://www.head-fi.org/products/singxer-su-1-usb-bridge/reviews/16649.

I enough agree with this review regarding the differences I can hear between my Audiophilleo and the Pro3z with the last xmos chipset

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #3,445 of 3,865
I found the i2s pin layout for ps audio but I don't know what switches to tweak on the su-1..........

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #3,446 of 3,865
  I found the i2s pin layout for ps audio but I don't know what switches to tweak on the su-1..........

Did you get the manual with your SU-1? if now, please download the manual/driver pack here
there is pdf inside that explains it in detail

FYI, customs has pulled the CD"s out of many of the SU-1's that ship to the USA. They won't be shipping with CD's anymore.
so whom you purchased from will have a download link to get the manuals/drivers.

It's out of control at customs lately. 

Sep 7, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #3,447 of 3,865

Did you get the manual with your SU-1? if now, please download the manual/driver pack here
there is pdf inside that explains it in detail

FYI, customs has pulled the CD"s out of many of the SU-1's that ship to the USA. They won't be shipping with CD's anymore.
so whom you purchased from will have a download link to get the manuals/drivers.

It's out of control at customs lately. 

Thanks!

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #3,448 of 3,865
Hi

I noticed that the Mutec MC-1.2 can be powered from USB. Has anybody used a linear power supply via USB to power it? It would be interesting to know who powering via LPS / USB compares to the internal SMPS. Maybe it would push the performance of the device closer to its big brother or the Singxer SU1?

Cheers!

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #3,449 of 3,865
  What I2S cable you guys are using with SU-1? I am guessing the quality of the cable matters.

Currently I'm using a rather inexpensive cable.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002U3161M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Overall I have not dumped a lot of money into cables. I just not sure I can hear the difference.
Besides, I have issues with my listening room that need to be corrected that I CAN hear. (Modes).

Sep 7, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #3,450 of 3,865
I've had the Singxer SU-1 for a while and have about 115-120 hours on it now, so I'll share my impressions. The unit replaced an AR-T Legato (original). The rest of my system is as follows:

2010 Mac Mini (8GB RAM, SSD, LaCie 5TB HD)>USB Cable>Singxer SU-1>PAD Aqueous Aureus Praesto Digital IC (BNC)>Eastern Electric DAC Plus (Dexa op-amps and modded)>Kaplan GS Mk2.5 ICs>Rogue Cronus Magnum (modded, with KT66s and NOS signal tubes)>Kaplan GS MKII SCs>Aural Acoustic Model B speakers. Furutech dedicated outlet, TWL PCs, and PI Audio Digi-Buss & Buss-Stop power conditioners.

On first hookup the SU-1 immediately conveyed a much blacker background and much more micro detail, image separation and powerful dynamics. It was also very dry, glassy, lean and, most noticeably, tight sounding, with a more constrained lateral soundstage although depth was increased. After 10 hours, the glassiness went away.  

On the plus side, the SU-1 conveyed accurate and extended bass, and prominent (but not overdone) leading edge transients. Trailing edge transients were just adequately long. The held note, however was slightly truncated, the midrange lean/recessed. 

At around the 40 hour mark the PS Audio LanRover arrived and was added. This provided an even blacker background, more prominent bass and a fuller midrange. Interestingly the Uptone Regen by itself did not improve the sound of the SU-1 (although it had made an unalloyed major improvement with the Legato). Placed after the LanRover the sound also deteriorated; placed before it, it added some additional needed fullness to the sound.

At this point it would be useful to mention that I could not get the SU-1 to consistently work with my longer (.75m) PI Audio USB cable: either direct from the Mac Mini or from the Mini to either the LanRover or Regen. The inexpensive included cable worked every time. Because it has ferrite cores on it? I don't know but it is strange because, as long as I used the included cable out of the Mac, I was able to use two short PI Audio USB cables out from the LanRover and/or Regen into the SU-1 without any problems. And yes, I checked that the longer cable worked on other equipment. I have a query into Dave Elledge of PI Audio to see what light he can shed on this.

It took around 70 hours for the tightness from the SU-1 to subside and the soundstage to open up but the leanness remained. Finally, at over 100 hours, the mid-range filled out and aligned with the treble and bass and harmony was restored.

To check on the effect of each piece of gear, I then removed the Regen and LanRover (individually and together). To my great surprise I preferred the sound without either of these units. They both added an overly weighty and bloomy bass and an artificial "hi-fiish" quality to the music. Without them the sound is very revealing, neutral and balanced: to the extent that it's made more obvious some pre-existing weaknesses in my system that need to be addressed.

IMO, the Singxer SU-1 is an excellent bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back