800s or Focal Clears
Oct 31, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #2 of 16
I've owned the HD800S and listened to the Clear quite a bit. I haven't had a chance to hear them at the same time though so I'm going off memory.

HD800S: More soundstage, slightly more comfortable, slightly less bass bleed
Clear: Slightly more bass, more midbass, a little fuller sounding

Oct 31, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 16
I've had 800, 800S for many years. After owning the Clears about ten months I sold the Sennheisers. They're a wonderful headphone but there's just something off about them in the midrange. I only noticed it after listening to the Clears a long time. So the trick is... buy a pair and don't listen to anything else.

Oct 31, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #9 of 16
For the HD800 yes, because it smooths out the sound and enhances the bass. For darker sounding headphones I prefer solid state though.

Oct 31, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #10 of 16
I too owned the 800S, and sold them soon after I got the Clears. The soundstage might be better on the 800S, but I prefer the spatial positioning on the Clear. And to me, the Clear is much more neutral sounding, and therefore a better all rounder. Mind you, I chalk some of this up to the amp I'm using (Schiit Ragnarok); I know some people like the pairing, but I thought it took away some of what was unique about the 800S.

Oct 31, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #11 of 16
I demoed the Clears vs. LCD-4 vs. Utopia and thought the LCD-4 and Utopia were better than the Clear, but not by that much. LCD-4 had better sub-bass and the Utopia was a little more clear sounding. I just got a pair of Stax SR-007A and they sound strangely like the LCD-4 to me. Very slightly less bass impact, but a little more clear in the mids.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #13 of 16
I had both for a while, and ultimately sold the 800s. In fact, I now have gone all in on Focal with a new pair or Utopias and am selling my (2 pairs) of Clears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back