800 Gb HD? Could this be an elegant solution?
Mar 15, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
It has two 400GB HDD's, not one 800GB drive (they don't exist yet).

And you can be sure it will be hobbled by draconian DRM.

If you are even a little bit proficient with computers, I'd skip it.

-Ed

I see. Just an idea. I have two external 250Gb HD's at the mo with all my music on. It's a good sign though. I may look into HD based players rather than having to play from my computer.

Mar 15, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Echo_
might as well get two 400 gb harddrives and just optical out to a reciever

Yeah, also Pioneer isn't the most reliable manufacturer either. Their LD players have seemed to hold up pretty well but their early DVD players and receivers (including some of their Elite products) leave much to be desired reliability/performance wise.

Mar 15, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
If you are proficient with computers, I don't see the advantage of buying that Pioneer unit.

A computer is far more flexible, and will probably sound better in the end.

-Ed

at a certain point it's all about taking an old pc and setting it up as a hdd/file server. wireless or wifi depending whether there are laptops in your network. put it in a closet or something, just keep buying cheap hdd's (see fatwallet), and feel happy

Mar 15, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by SennFan
Yeah, also Pioneer isn't the most reliable manufacturer either. Their LD players have seemed to hold up pretty well but their early DVD players and receivers (including some of their Elite products) leave much to be desired reliability/performance wise.

Hm, I really pioneer. I have a Pioneer 533 DVD player that is a killer, plays everything and is still going strong 5 years later.

Mar 15, 2006 at 9:18 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
Hm, I really pioneer. I have a Pioneer 533 DVD player that is a killer, plays everything and is still going strong 5 years later.

Don't forget that companies change over time. So many companies seem to have forsaken build quality completely and farmed out to cheap Chinese (and other) labor.

Toshiba used to be an excellent company... I have a Toshiba SD-2109 DVD player I bought in 1999 that's still going strong (and has a great picture, I use it regularly) and have purchased great Toshiba CD-ROM drives in the past too. Now they seem to be sliding downhill fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back