800$ budget, need headphones and amp. I think this should be easy for you guys.
Sep 20, 2014 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

cheeno50

Head-Fier
I think i have a solid budget but i need recommendation for headphones good for hardstyle, hiphop, trance.

Also, for a little bit of gaming and studio work. I like bass also. I was looking at the x1's but I feel like i might be under selling myself.

Any other recommendations?

Sep 20, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 9
X1, M-Stage and Essence One. 

I don;t have the E1, but supposedly it sounds really good. 

Sep 20, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 9
Do you already have a DAC you can use?

If not, for amp+DAC get an O2+ODAC or a Schiit Magni and Modi. These are all you'll ever need; they'll power any headphone you throw at them, except the AKG K1000 and electrostatics, but those are special cases.

If you have a DAC, get a standalone O2 or the Magni.

(note: the O2 also has a version which comes with a battery if you're interesting in taking your headphone out for walks, keep it in shape, etc. These cost more though. You can also pick the battery version up from JDS Labs, which IMO looks better, and they offer free laser engravings, but you have to buy the power adapter from them separately so it costs even more)

The headphones are tricky and which ones you like will depend on your tastes. If you like bass, I would personally recommend planar magnetic headphones. Their design allows for very deep, distortion-free bass, without being bass-heavy. You may like them for their bass linearity, and you may not because they lack a mid-bass hump common in dynamic headphones. But hey, there's always EQ!

The Hifiman HE-500 is a great value for an open-back headphone, but people say it's a bit on the bright and aggressive side. If you'd rather have something darker and closed-back, the MrSpeakers Alpha Dog has been highly praised.

Both will set you back $599, keeping you barely in budget with the Schiit gear, and barely out of it with the O2+ODAC. Both also have similar, cheaper models, the HE-400, HE-400i, Mad Dog and Mad Dog Pro, if you don't want to commit all the way.

You'll want to vet others for impressions, as I haven't personally heard these headphones. Just throwing ideas out.

Relevant measurements:

HE-500
Alpha Dog
HE-400
Mad Dog
Philips Fidelio X1

Sep 21, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #4 of 9
+1 with previous recommendations.

note the X2 is coming out soon or maybe even out. saw a review for them on head-fi.

$800 is a bit overkill I think. I can't really think of a combo that really maxes that budget for a really significant improvement. There is the $500 HE-400i + $200 amp/dac for $700, or the $700 Fostex TH600 + $100 amp, or $600 Alpha Dog + $200 amp/dac.

I think if you want to spend $800, the Alpha Dog combo would use all your money. However, I think a budget for a solid well-chosen $300ish headphones + $200 amp/dac is pretty sonically competitive with most sub-$1000 combos. The sonic improvements moving to $800 budget is pretty small for basically doubling the costs. You don't get double the sound quality. I've noticed scaling up that you really gain subtle improvements... whether that kinda improvement is worth it for you is a personal thing I guess.

You could always drop the amp/dac and spend the entire budget on your headphones, but unfortunately most $800+ headphones require at least an amp, so costs exponentially increase.

Sep 21, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #5 of 9
For that budget you can get a Stax SRS-2170 system:
Includes headphones and an amplifier.
Stax have a less mechanical sound and cleaner, more accurate treble than most similarly priced dynamic headphones and amp combinations.

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #6 of 9
For that budget you can get a Stax SRS-2170 system:
Includes headphones and an amplifier.
Stax have a less mechanical sound and cleaner, more accurate treble than most similarly priced dynamic headphones and amp combinations.

A good option, but I'm not sure how well STAX's supposed "thin" bass will work with the genres OP listed (hardstyle, hip-hop, trance). It also doesn't leave room for a new DAC, if he needs one, unless he saves money by importing it from a 3rd party seller on Amazon and gets a step-down transformer. In that case, the Modi should still fit within his budget.

I'm sure the bass is easily EQable as well; they like planar magnetics have vanishing low distortion down to at least 20 Hz (graph) so there should be plenty of room to boost it without taxing the driver. I'll let you know when I get one (eventually 
biggrin.gif
)

Sep 21, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #7 of 9
  A good option, but I'm not sure how well STAX's supposed "thin" bass will work with the genres OP listed (hardstyle, hip-hop, trance). It also doesn't leave room for a new DAC, if he needs one, unless he saves money by importing it from a 3rd party seller on Amazon and gets a step-down transformer. In that case, the Modi should still fit within his budget.

I'm sure the bass is easily EQable as well; they like planar magnetics have vanishing low distortion down to at least 20 Hz (graph) so there should be plenty of room to boost it without taxing the driver. I'll let you know when I get one (eventually 
biggrin.gif
)

It's a myth that the SR-207 has 'thin' bass. It's low-end is accurate, textured, and can actually have some weight (if present in source material). What it doesn't have, is bass emphasis. Relative to say, an HE-400, it will have less bass impact, but that's only because the orthodynamic is tuned for, and thus very good, in that regard. 

Sep 21, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #8 of 9

I'm sure the bass is easily EQable as well; they like planar magnetics have vanishing low distortion down to at least 20 Hz (graph) so there should be plenty of room to boost it without taxing the driver. I'll let you know when I get one (eventually :D )

Personally, I don't find the Stax have thin bass, as the post from Raj says, the bass is accurate, textured and does have weight, if the source material calls for it.
You're correct, of course, WRT the low distortion.

I often use the Stax for trance, rock and blues.

I'm sure you'll be quite pleased when you get your hands on a pair!

It's a myth that the SR-207 has 'thin' bass. It's low-end is accurate, textured, and can actually have some weight (if present in source material). What it doesn't have, is bass emphasis. Relative to say, an HE-400, it will have less bass impact, but that's only because the orthodynamic is tuned for, and thus very good, in that regard. 

Basically.......+1, sir!

Sep 21, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #9 of 9
I would look at the HE-400I or MrSpeakers Alpha Dog and the Schiit audio astgard 2. Either one of those amazing cans and the amp should do you well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back