80$ to spend
Apr 24, 2010 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

SirJulius

New Head-Fier
So I recently made the mistake of buying some SkullCandy SkullCrushers. Well, not really a mistake. I was expecting them to not sound that well, and I really was only going to use them for heavy bass music and to wear them around like a necklace (I think they look cool, and so do the ladies). But they really don't do well with all the other types of music I listen to.

What can you recommend for 80$ for all around music listening? I was planning on getting some Koss KSC75 (for working out/portability) and Senhieser HD 201 & 202s; 201s for producing and listening to jazz, classical, some rock, and 202s for hip hop, techno, etc.

Anymore recommendations? The best sounding headphones I've heard were the Beats by Dre, so I'd be happy if I can find anything just as good if not better sounding for 80$.

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #3 of 18
hey, no offense though, but the Beats aren't getting a lot of love around here. You need to be specific of what you're really after, since you like the Dre's, you might really like bassy phones. But what are you really after? those full sized phones for DJ's or something portable, one that won't be much of a looker? and do you mind some sound leaking from your phones? 

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #5 of 18
Check out the Grado SR60i's.. They're in your price range and sound fantastic to me..

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #6 of 18
JVC HARX900...but they are mainly for home listening, too big...but the bass is good. 

And lately many people are recommending the Creative Aurvana Lives..but i dont know too much about them. 

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #7 of 18
IMO the SR-60i isn't really intended for bass-heads, but I've heard the bass improves as you move up the Grado line.

The Creative Aurvana LIve is pretty much the same as the Denon D1001 headphones, rebadged.

You can probably get a pair of AudioTechnica M50s in the FS Forum for that price, or sometimes through ebay dealers as well.

Jun 11, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #10 of 18
hm, since he bought a Skullcandy, it might not be advisable for him to buy a Grado, Grados I think are not much of a bling, lol.
smile_phones.gif

Jun 11, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #11 of 18
You want style that actually has substance, within your budget? Audio Technica ES7.

Jun 11, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #12 of 18
Aren't the ES7's more in the $150 range? And, Grado's are schnazzy in a retro kinda way. They do look good, but not in the "I'm an insecure pre-teen wanting to look hip" kinda way.

As far as recommendations, The M50's and the XB700's are both available under $100, so if you stretch your budget a little, you can get some good looking headphones that do tons of bass. The XB700's are more of that "subwoofer strapped to your head" thing, whereas the M50's are more musical.

I own the Creative Aurvanas, and while I've moved on to better things, they're sublime for the price. You can get them for $50 shipped from Newegg.com, and $55 from Amazon, and while they only accentuate the bass a little, they have a wonderfully airy presentation for closed cans, and are quite thoroughly musical.

Jun 11, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #14 of 18
God, I want some Aurvanas... they're irresistible at the $60 price point...

Soon baby, soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back