80 GB Creative Nomad Zen Xtra
May 1, 2004 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

AnalyticChick

New Head-Fier
Yes, you read the subject heading right. There's a guy selling it (or I assume it is a guy) on Ebay for $400. The link is http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3094202762

I was wondering if anyone has ever bought an upgraded Creative Nomad player and if so, what their experience was like. I like the price and the 80 gig part of the equation, but am not so fond of the idea that this guy might be clumsy at replacing player hard drives. I am also contacting Viking right now about the possibility of buying a warranty on such a tampered with player.

I've posted this query for advice to the Nomadness forums already. But I was just wondering if anyone here at Head-fi could give me any info.
Thanks again!

May 1, 2004 at 6:52 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalyticChick
Yes, you read the subject heading right. There's a guy selling it (or I assume it is a guy) on Ebay for $400. The link is http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3094202762

I was wondering if anyone has ever bought an upgraded Creative Nomad player and if so, what their experience was like. I like the price and the 80 gig part of the equation, but am not so fond of the idea that this guy might be clumsy at replacing player hard drives. I am also contacting Viking right now about the possibility of buying a warranty on such a tampered with player.

I've posted this query for advice to the Nomadness forums already. But I was just wondering if anyone here at Head-fi could give me any info.
Thanks again!

Hi AnalyticChick,

Actually, anyone can upgrade a Nomad Zen Xtra, or NX, or the original, or any of the Jukenox series with standard 2.5" notebook drives, which are currently available up to 80gb. The guys on eBay who do so are trying to earn a profit by installing it themselves and then reselling the drive that originally came in it. But yes it will certainly void the warantee. Is it safe? Yes I think so, I've upgraded my Nomad Jukebox 3 from 20gb to 60gb myself and it was pretty easy. There are several guides online if you want to do something like it yourself. But if not, getting it from a reliable seller on eBay is as good as anywhere. Just be aware of the risk, and keep in mind you can get a 60gb version from Creative with the regular 90-day warantee. But that's no too long anyway.

..and Toshiba will be making 100gb notebook drives by the end of this year
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2004 at 11:47 PM Post #4 of 6
My brother bought one (a JB3) for me off ebay last year and it works well. Now I forget who he bought it from but I remember that the folks were doing them on a regular basis. I don't see my brothers user name in their feedback but he may not have left feedback. They used a toshiba drive.

I have since (last week) upgraded another JB3 to an 80 gig toshiba drive. It was an easy upgrade (it took only 20 min. to do). The Zen is supposed to be even easier to upgrade.

May 2, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 6
Since this guy works a lot with hard drives, I am more inclined to trust his mechanical skills than mine. The thing with upgrading myself as well is that I would then have an extra hard drive which I wouldn't have a use for.

Also, I got a reply back from someone who had left feedback who had purchased this player. They said that they had a problem with the tag limit. Now the new firmware update supposedly takes care of this, but he/she still had problems and ended up sending the unit back. Seeing how this guy uses the 30 gig players as a base, would that have an effect on the player accepting the newest firmware? Also, has anyone upgraded the player and then installed the new firmware. How did that go for you?

Thanks!

May 2, 2004 at 6:14 AM Post #6 of 6
Unfortunately I did the upgrade to the Jukebox 3 not the Zen so my experience may not apply but I upgraded a 20 gig unit. I had updated the firmware prior to installing the 80 gig drive but had to reinstall the firmware again after the upgrade.

I don't think it would matter what size of drive the unit started with. The latest firmware is supposed to have a limit of approx. 15,000 songs, of any length. The older firmware was limited to about 10,500 songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back