80-100 dollar headphone amps for the AKG K701
Dec 25, 2011 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

ScaleneAlloy

New Head-Fier
I recently have been gifted the AKG K701 and after hearing some mixed reviews I'm thinking about getting a headphone amp. I'm a huge audiophile, but I still wish to get the best out of these cans with a reasonable amount of money. I've heard mixed reviews about FiiO, udac, O2, etc. and I really have no idea which way to go. So I was hoping you kind people would be able to lead me in the correct path. All-in-all I just want to spend 80-100 dollars on an amp.

I'm planning on just using my headphones at my desk through my computer if it makes any difference. On a side note, my onboard sound is ****ting on me so I'm planning on getting the Xonar DG, any other suggestions?

Thanks

EDIT: If you could provide a link to where I could buy it that'd be nice

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 23
The AKG K701 is 62-Ohms.

The Asus Xonar DG (PCI) comes with a halfway decent headphone amplifier rated up to 150-Ohms.
Not sure how well it will power the K701.

If all you want is stereo 2.0 channel sound, then maybe just get the Fiio E10.

Dec 26, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 23
You can't just look at the impedance ratings. Impedance by itself means nothing. There can be high impedance headphones that are easy to drive and also low impedance headphones that are very difficult to drive. It's impossible to simplify it down to just impedance.

That said, you will likely need a more powerful amp than the Xonar DG. I suggest the Fiio E9 as the cheapest option to power the K701.

Quote:
The AKG K701 is 62-Ohms.

The Asus Xonar DG (PCI) comes with a halfway decent headphone amplifier rated up to 150-Ohms.
Not sure how well it will power the K701.

If all you want is stereo 2.0 channel sound, then maybe just get the Fiio E10.

Dec 26, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 23
I never said I was relying only on the Xonar DG, I just needed a new one since the onboard sound was starting to not work and all. But thanks Ill look into the two amps you've both recommended.

Dec 26, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 23
The new Creative Labs X-Fi Recon3D (SB1350) PCI-Express sound card just came out.
Comes with a headphone amplifier rated up to 600-Ohms, price is around $100.
The sound specs are not as good as the Creative Labs Titanium HD and there are no reviews out yet.
Want to be a guinea pig?

Dec 26, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #6 of 23
For a long time I used the Headroom Total Bithead to drive my AKG K701 when using it with my computer. I would do USB output from the PC to the bithead. It's a little over your stated price range, though (closer to $130 I think for a new model).

Dec 26, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #7 of 23
Alright, so I'm not so sure about trying out a new sound card before it's been tried out by some few people.

would getting this 20 dollar sound card:
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Channel-Sound-Card-XONAR_DG/dp/B0045JHJSS
with:
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E10-USB-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005VO7LG6
or
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E11-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0053KWDES

work well?

Dec 27, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #8 of 23

Quote:
Alright, so I'm not so sure about trying out a new sound card before it's been tried out by some few people.
would getting this 20 dollar sound card:
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Channel-Sound-Card-XONAR_DG/dp/B0045JHJSS
with:
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E10-USB-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005VO7LG6
or
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E11-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0053KWDES
work well?

As you getting the Asus Xonar DG (PCI), and it comes with a DAC and whatever external amplifier you get will plug into the analog speaker output of the DG.
You would not need the DAC that comes on the E10.
So get the E11.

Dec 27, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
As you getting the Asus Xonar DG (PCI), and it comes with a DAC and whatever external amplifier you get will plug into the analog speaker output of the DG.
You would not need the DAC that comes on the E10.
So get the E11.

Thank you very much as well as everyone else. If I could I'd find each and everyone of you and bake you a cake and things.

Dec 27, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #10 of 23

Quote:
Thank you very much as well as everyone else. If I could I'd find each and everyone of you and bake you a cake and things.

Maye you can take a picture of a nice chocolate cake and post it to this thread?

Dec 27, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #12 of 23

Quote:
The O2 amplifier if you could DIY it out would suit your needs nicely too. Its overall the best choice for high power phones IMO. 

It seems so...
As you can see in my sig. I have the FiiO E9i with K701. It is not a bad amp at all for the money and it drives the 701 pretty well but, in the contrary of the O2, it has quite high output impedance (this is one of the biggest drawbacks of the E9 as I read ) while the 701 are quite low (62 ohm).
There is a rule that says that the output impedance of the amp should be the least eight times lower the impedance of the phones. For technical explanation please search the net! So the 10ohm of the E9 is quite high for the K's!
I think that the E9 gives it's best with higher impedance cans like the HD650 (300 Ohm - I have heard the combination and it is really good). I would like to hear what it would do with 600ohms but I have no 600 ohm cans around !

So I would suggest you to get the O2 ,with it's very low output impedance (I will in a while for sure), and as for the pc, I would suggest not to get a sound card but a usb DAC. The upcoming FiiO E17 (or E10 -but this is an amp too) seems quite nice for the money!!!

The O2 is not only DIY you can get it assembled!!

As you can see also in my sig. I have not followed the above rule at all... lol!!! Unfortunately I found out about all these things "afterwards"...

Dec 27, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #13 of 23
For $114 plus the cost of a transformer ($20?) you could purchase a Lovely Cube amp on ebay.
You would still need to box it up. For that price you would have a working poor man's version of the Matrix M-Stage.
This amp has the power to drive the K701's cleanly with lots of headroom.
I had the M-Stage with my K702. Was a match made in heaven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back