8 years ago . . .
Mar 17, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #181 of 286
Although some find the best sounding headphones with the BHSE are the SR-007mk1's, those some [ IMO ] should listen to the SR-009's with the BHSE but using Psvane EL34PH tubes. I keep on about those tubes, but since using them with my BHSE, my 009's have never sounded as good.

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #182 of 286
  Although some find the best sounding headphones with the BHSE are the SR-007mk1's, those some [ IMO ] should listen to the SR-009's with the BHSE but using Psvane EL34PH tubes. I keep on about those tubes, but since using them with my BHSE, my 009's have never sounded as good.

I've tried to make the 009+BHSE combo work, and I've tested out most of the recommended EL34s (Shuguang, Psvane EL34PH, winged C's, NOS XF2), but in the end I gave up. All about personal preference though - most of my friends gave it up as well but one enjoys the combo immensely (he said tweaking some cables helped).

Have you tried the 009 with any of the other top offerings? Specifically the WES, Electra and LLv2. @OP it would be worth a shot to hear the 009 from at least two amps before deeming what's best (for your tastes).

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #183 of 286
 I've tried to make the 009+BHSE combo work, and I've tested out most of the recommended EL34s (Shuguang, Psvane EL34PH, winged C's, NOS XF2), but in the end I gave up. All about personal preference though - most of my friends gave it up as well but one enjoys the combo immensely (he said tweaking some cables helped).

Have you tried the 009 with any of the other top offerings? Specifically the WES, Electra and LLv2.. it would be worth a shot to hear the 009 from at least two of the other amps before deeming what's best. 

As you say, it's down to personal preference, and the 009 / BHSE while using the PH tubes have given me the SQ I'm wanting.
There's no point in me trying any other stats amp because I won't be buying anymore for a very long time. ( if ever )
I might eventually upgrade my source, but again that will probably be along time away.
I very much like the look of the new models Esoteric have come out with though, Grandioso.

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #184 of 286
As you say, it's down to personal preference, and the 009 / BHSE while using the PH tubes have given me the SQ I'm wanting.
There's no point in me trying any other stats amp because I won't be buying anymore for a very long time. ( if ever )
I might eventually upgrade my source, but again that will probably be along time away.
I very much like the look of the new models Esoteric have come out with though, Grandioso.

You using an external clock with your K01? Try it out with the g-0rb before thinking about a new model, it's worth every cent.

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #185 of 286
You using an external clock with your K01? Try it out with the g-0rb before thinking about a new model, it's worth every cent.

I've never tried an external clock with my K-01, however I've read for what improvement in SQ an external clock offers when used with the K-01, isn't worth it's cost, but even if I auditioned the G-0Rb or G-01 with my K-01 and found a big improvement, it wouldn't be for several years before I'd have the spare money to buy one, and by that time Esoteric might have come out with a much better model than the K-01.

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #186 of 286
Thanks all for the very interesting thread.  I think a lot of what others have said here re: personal preference and trying to demo something before you buy is spot on.  Most of the equipment in the price range you're looking is going to be pretty solid - and so what's best for you can probably only be decided by you.  Sad reality of hi-fi :) 

That said, felt like throwing my 2 cents in.  My situation has driven me down the sealed cans route because I often listen in situations where my wife would rather not know it (or is busy doing something else sound-generating.)  I've recently settled on something that I think hits a sweet spot in terms of sound quality, detail, and musicality:

Source: A Dell Venu 8 Pro tablet ($250; can play anything, very portable) 
DAC: Nad M51 (~2000 USD new)
Amp: Questyle CMA800R (~1500 USD new)
Headphones: LCD-XC for closed (~1700 USD new), HD650 for open (~500 USD new).

I've been really happy with this combo (it was mentioned once or twice earlier in the thread.)  I find it really brings out the detail and sound stage in the LCD-XCs (which my previous Burson Conductor wasn't doing.)  And it's the best the 650s have ever sounded.  While I haven't tried yet, the CMA800R apparently pairs fabulously with the HD800s, which I'm planning to pick up at some point for top-tier open dynamic listening.  I don't have DSD support, and the USB input on the NAD isn't galvanically isolated.  But the NAD can act as a pretty solid pre-amp, and I can setup 2 of the CMA800s in a dual mono-configuration one day which is a nice upgrade path. That's my quick plug :) 

I haven't heard any of the Stax models to compare (though clearly I need to.)  But it took me about a year to find a combo I think more about listening to than upgrading - so I'm pretty excited.  Best of luck finding what works for you!

Mar 17, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #187 of 286
  First you berate someone for reading comprehension then you do this. Kind of like slapping yourself in the face eh? What's the point of recommending multiple headphone setups when the OP stated he only has a budget for one?

Did you get your panties in a twist or something? Loosen up your stool, chill down and try connecting the dots again by reading my post closely.

I didn't make a recommendation for multiple setups for the OP, I'm just saying that the HD800 will complement the O2's nicely if the OP want's to consider the HD800, since the OP came from the O2's it's something worth considering trying.

Never once did I say, I RECOMMEND op to get both the O2's and HD800's. 

Next time you try to criticise another persons post, do it properly so with the correct information. Thank you very much.

Mar 17, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #188 of 286
I am finalizing an order for the BHSE.  Yes, I know I have awhile to wait, but I can be patient (the Denon D7000s will be sufficient in the meantime).  My rationale is this: having experienced the Omega 2s with tubes (the Singlepower ES1), I figured that I preferred the tube sound signature (and, pretty obviously, the BHSE should outclass the ES1 by a wide margin).  My speaker system is electrostatic (Martin Logan Vantages), so I guess I'm just a sucker for the amazing transparency of electrostatic speakers/headphones.

Though the BHSE is very expensive, I like the fact that it is likely to hold its value nicely.

As to headphones, I am actually leaning against the 009s.  I've had, and dearly loved, everything about the 007 (O2).  Sure, I have read that the 009s have much to recommend them, but I am troubled by reports of the highs being excessively bright.  Whether that is true or not, the key is that I already know that I have a great affinity for the O2s, and I need to save a bit to come within my budget.  If any of you would care to pose an alternate point of view, please feel free to weigh in!

As to source, I've got an old ADL/Furutech Dac/Amp with a defective volume control.  So, I may very well return it to the merchant from whom I bought it.  The merchant happens to carry the Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSD-se and he'll discount it if I return the ADL/Furutech.  I've got a little tube back-up amp that, along with the new DAC and Denons, ought to get me through until the BHSE arrives.

Thanks so much for all your kind, informative, and incredibly helpful suggestions.  I know I am ignoring, perhaps wrongly, the suggestion that I go to some meets.  But, I know that I loved my old rig, and that I will fall in love with my new one.

Mar 17, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #189 of 286
Good choice on the BHSE, just a slight FYI, some (including myself) have found the BHSE and 009 to be a bit bright at times, some say it's a source problem (if a Lampizator L4 with an Burmester transport is not good enough, I don't know what is). Just putting it out there.

BHSE + O2 Mk1 however is acclaimed to be a very very good pairing, the neutral/bright tint of the BHSE (stock JJ EL34's when I tried with the 009) balances out the slightly laid back sound sig of the O2 MK1, plenty of power to spare as well.

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #190 of 286
  I am finalizing an order for the BHSE.  Yes, I know I have awhile to wait, but I can be patient (the Denon D7000s will be sufficient in the meantime).  My rationale is this: having experienced the Omega 2s with tubes (the Singlepower ES1), I figured that I preferred the tube sound signature (and, pretty obviously, the BHSE should outclass the ES1 by a wide margin).  My speaker system is electrostatic (Martin Logan Vantages), so I guess I'm just a sucker for the amazing transparency of electrostatic speakers/headphones.

Though the BHSE is very expensive, I like the fact that it is likely to hold its value nicely.

As to headphones, I am actually leaning against the 009s.  I've had, and dearly loved, everything about the 007 (O2).  Sure, I have read that the 009s have much to recommend them, but I am troubled by reports of the highs being excessively bright.  Whether that is true or not, the key is that I already know that I have a great affinity for the O2s, and I need to save a bit to come within my budget.  If any of you would care to pose an alternate point of view, please feel free to weigh in!

As to source, I've got an old ADL/Furutech Dac/Amp with a defective volume control.  So, I may very well return it to the merchant from whom I bought it.  The merchant happens to carry the Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSD-se and he'll discount it if I return the ADL/Furutech.  I've got a little tube back-up amp that, along with the new DAC and Denons, ought to get me through until the BHSE arrives.

Thanks so much for all your kind, informative, and incredibly helpful suggestions.  I know I am ignoring, perhaps wrongly, the suggestion that I go to some meets.  But, I know that I loved my old rig, and that I will fall in love with my new one.

On a bright DAC, they'll sound bright. On my old Sabre based W4S DAC-2, they were a bit shouty in the upper mids. But then again, so where the HD800s/LCD-X on my GS-X Mk2. I've since upgraded to the Bryston BDA-2 and the SR-009s really hit the spot for me! I love my SR-007Mk1s and have acquired a new appreciation for them, but the SR-009s are still king of the hill to my ears.

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #191 of 286
I know I am ignoring, perhaps wrongly, the suggestion that I go to some meets.  But, I know that I loved my old rig, and that I will fall in love with my new one.

Nice decision on the BHSE, though I am surprised with the current wait likely to be 1year+. It's certainly supposed to be the best combo for the SR-007, though I haven't heard them together myself.

As to the quote above, I only suggest that you try a meet since you've been out of the game so long that almost everything on display at a meet will be completely new to you. You can eliminate a lot of potential 'what ifs' by taking part of one day to go. Even if you are set on your path with the BHSE + SR007 + W4S, it's always good to add to your audio experience and you never know what you might find that suits your fancy. Not only that but chatting with like minded people is a good time. Being so close to a town that does meets twice a year (Dallas) is a luxury, and Austin's annual meet isn't that far away either.

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #192 of 286

As you have been considering an exasound in your OP, I suggest you really try it.
You can return it within 30 days if you don't like it, so no risk involved.

I have the e20 (82fs clock) and I am driving a HD800 directly with it. And I am lovin' it
biggrin.gif
All the negative aspects, harshness , sibilance ... I have no clue what everyone is complaining about
wink.gif
Vast and precise sound stage, immediate dynamics, authentic natural bass, exemplary decay, absolutely no noise what so ever.
The HD800 was used in development of the e20 DAC. It pairs really well for my taste, as always: YMMV.

I am in the 2014 batch for a GSX-Mk II. No tube experiments for me.

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #193 of 286
Since you are going stats, all I can say is that the 009s are a breakthrough in sound transducers in the headphone world (and maybe even the speaker world too). 
The insight and truth is breathtaking, and I think you should play with tubes, cables, dacs, power conditioners, whatever to get them right, especially since you're getting a BHSE.

I was the one who recommended starting with non-stats, but if going the stat route with a BHSE, go for the gold. I have owned 009s for almost 2 years now. I had SR007 mk1s for 7 years and sold them.

The 009s are super sensitive to what they are fed all the way to the wall outlet, and I believe the brightness can be tamed without a lot of extra spending.
Apparently the owners in this thread have done so. I pretty much have succeeded also.

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #194 of 286
Gratz on the BHSE!! Sorry for not reading the whole thread, but has a headphone been picked yet?

Also seeing as how you're in Ft. Worth, you'd be coming to Dallas meets in the future with your brand new gear, right? :wink:

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #195 of 286
  Gratz on the BHSE!! Sorry for not reading the whole thread, but has a headphone been picked yet?

Also seeing as how you're in Ft. Worth, you'd be coming to Dallas meets in the future with your brand new gear, right? :wink:

I'd say OP is 80-90% leaning towards the 009. Other 10% may be to him having an open mind for maybe something else special that could pop up. Don't know what his music preference is but if it's any sort of light rock, jazz and other reference genre based material such as classical, OP will be in for a big treat. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back