789 vs. Asgard 3
Oct 22, 2020 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Hondadude85

100+ Head-Fier
Long-time member in one form or another. I have a fairly extensive headphone collection and want to get a new DAC/Amp combo for listening at work to my HD650/HD6XX, HD58X/HD660S, and occasionally DT880/32 through (or whatever I decide to bring that day). Mostly Sennheiser HD6-- series 99% of the time. The main source will be my 16 inch MacBook Pro via Tidal. I assume I can just get a micro-USB to USB-C cable to make that connection copasetic.

My two main contenders are the Drop 789 and the Grace SDAC
or the Schiit Asgard 3 and Modius. I like components to "match" relatively speaking by brand - if possible. My sound preferences are natural to warm with good bass and smooth treble.

Any other "stack" I should consider? I'd love to stay with Massdrop since their customer service has been absolutely astonishing to me. On the other hand, I love Schiit products as well. Had an "old" Asgard that I loved, outside of the heat it produced. Anyway, thanks in advance for the help, everyone!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 10
I have the 789 and the Modius and the SDAC balanced. Those DACs sound very similar to me in balanced mode. So I really don’t need them both. So if you decide you want the SDAC, hit me up and I’ll sell you the SDAC balanced for a great price.

Oct 22, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 10
I have the 789 and the Modius and the SDAC balanced. Those DACs sound very similar to me in balanced mode. So I really don’t need them both. So if you decide you want the SDAC, hit me up and I’ll sell you the SDAC balanced for a great price.
I actually wanted to get the single-ended version, not balanced. I should have been more clear, sorry.

Oct 22, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 10
I want my amp to have some character and some sound and flavour of its own and THX 789 doesn't have it at all and I hate it.

Oct 22, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #8 of 10
Thanks everyone! I’m leaning heavily towards the Modius/Asgard 3 stack. Anything else I should consider or am I pretty much set with that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back