7506 + 60 watts = boom (and, help?)
Sep 15, 2002 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

cym

New Head-Fier
bought a pair of used 7506's and enjoyed them a lot.

then the college station I work at had its monitor amplifier stolen, and they wouldn't let us reorder it until the police report came in (a month later). So, I brought in my 7506's so I could track vocals until the amp arrived.

Well, a few days later someone borrowed them for a live remote, and used the following logic: 1/4" male on 7506... 1/4" female on fender power amp... must make sound.

Now I'm sitting with a pair of 7506s with only the right channel functioning.

I'm assuming the power amp just killed the left driver, so I'm attemping to get a pair of broken v6's cheap and transplant one of the drivers.

My questions:

I'm almost certain I blew the driver, but is there any way I can check? and is there any possibility it just melted a connection wire?

Is getting a cheap broken pair of v6's and switching drivers a feasable thing? I unscrewed the ears a little while ago to test the external wire connections to the driver, and it looks like just some basic soldering.

welp, half of me just wants to suck it up and buy a new pair of v6s and use these blown ones as a one-channel-thingamabob. more expensive perhaps, but less likely to make crappy sounds.

thanks,
will

Sep 15, 2002 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 2
You can take the pad off and look. From my own investigation, however, I can tell you that the wire in the driver is very thin. I'd say that it is almost certanly blown or fused together.

I bet you could replace the driver, but it may not be worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back