Dec 17, 2014 at 6:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Minstrel59

Head-Fier
Very interested to read your opinions on headphones or in-ears suited to low volume listening (as I have an intolerance to sound):-

Using an iPod Nano Gen 6 with no amplification.

For playback of vocals and acoustic music.

Fantastic clarity would probably be the most important attribute of a headphone for enhancing the enjoyment of my (enforced low volume) listening.

Neutral as possible; however I've got a feeling a slight boost in the bass and treble may helpful for greater clarity/coherence/intelligibility at quiet volumes.

Cautious of treble though because "clanking plates" and "people coughing/shouting" and "splashing water" type frequencies are very painful even at modest levels.

For this reason I think a soft treble would be helpful in avoiding shrillness/hardness/'graininess' (is that an actual word?) which would be painful to hear.

1)   Have you found a particular headphone that suits being played at extremely low level?  i.e. played 'loud' enough to hear and keep the hearing system exercised and working but not enough to cause ear pain?

2)  How about in-ear monitors?  Has anyone had any success (i.e. sound good to you and without being painful) with these?

3)  Have you found anything helpful in improving the condition (i.e. increasing sound tolerance)?

"Happy Holidays"  
smile.gif
  everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back