Sep 22, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 7
ermm... you should know the M50 is not neutral at all. it is actually bassy

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #3 of 7
ermm... you should know the M50 is not neutral at all. it is actually bassy

So if he thinks The M50 is bassy...then how much bass u want OP.
None of the choices you listed above except the DT990s are bassy, but very neutral and flat. They will sound lifeless to you.

You know, if you really want bass, you should look into the Philips Fidelio X1. They're open cans with a fun sig, and powerful bass. They're also great for gaming as MLE has stated, and with a VModa BoomPro mic, you could use them as a full-fledged gaming headset. Oh, and they don't need an amp.

They will go for about $200-$250, though you might be able to find it for less.

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #5 of 7
I've tried M50's, own Q701's, and am very familiar with HD598's and the Phillips X1's. M50's can sound neutral at lower volumes, as you hear less bass and treble and your brain focuses on the mids. I'd double the X1 recommendation if you can save up the extra cash. For a mic for gaming, I'd suggest looking into the Zalman clip-on, the VMODA BoomBro cable is not the best and it's quite expensive. The DT990's would have the bass you want, but they'd want an amp for sure, I'd check in one of those threads about cheap amp options. They're also semi-open, so they might half-isolate?

Sep 23, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #6 of 7
  I've tried M50's, own Q701's, and am very familiar with HD598's and the Phillips X1's. M50's can sound neutral at lower volumes, as you hear less bass and treble and your brain focuses on the mids. I'd double the X1 recommendation if you can save up the extra cash. For a mic for gaming, I'd suggest looking into the Zalman clip-on, the VMODA BoomBro cable is not the best and it's quite expensive. The DT990's would have the bass you want, but they'd want an amp for sure, I'd check in one of those threads about cheap amp options. They're also semi-open, so they might half-isolate?

Good looking out.

Yeah, I would have to agree with neutral at certain volumes.

I actually used the Zalman on my M50s, but the awkward fitting clip actually broke (the plastic material isn't sturdy at all) so it's either the VMODA Boom mic or Modmic v4.0 for the second time around. 
frown.gif

Damn. The more I read and watch videos about the X1, the more I'm falling in love with them.

The detachable cable and compatibility with the boom mic is the icing on the cake.

Only complaint is that the sexy cable that's included has somewhat of a high resistance so I'll most likely buy some V-moda audio cables to replace them.

Looking into the FiiO E10K if I do decide on an amp/dac combo. I wish I could afford the O2/ODAC combo or Schitt, but I really can't.

Sep 23, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #7 of 7
If you use the VMODA BoomPro mic, mine measured at ~50 ohms per channel. Not good! I love my ModMic, and maybe my BoomPro was defective. Anyways, something to look out for. O2 would be a great amp for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back