720 Position Attenuator
Feb 22, 2005 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

z2trillion

100+ Head-Fier
My plans for the attenuator:
256 position encoder to control volume up/down.
20 bit counter that goes up and down based on pulses from encoder and direction of rotation.*
20 bit counter feeds parallel eprom which has 720 binary values in a roughly exponential sequence.
Values from eprom turn relays on/off in a 20 bit r-2r ladder adc.

*I'll hook it up so that the counter can't go from 1111...1111 to 000...000 and vice versa.

Does this look like it will work? One obvious issue could be sending the signal through 20 relays; I'll probably hook all 40 up in series and see if I can hear a difference. Other than that, are than any other issues I am overlooking? Thanks.

Feb 22, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 13
I can't imagine wanting more than 64 steps. Too fine a resolution becomes a nuisance when large changes in volume are desired. If 256 position encoders exist, they are likely to cost a fortune.

Feb 22, 2005 at 5:46 PM Post #4 of 13
I would agree...that many steps is too many steps...

As for the encoder, it's not that bad...only $50 or $60. You cant get encoders with resolution up into the thousands if you really want
blink.gif

Feb 22, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 13
The real reason for 720 positions is that it gives nice happy .1 db steps from -0 db to -719.9 db. In any case, you need at least 16 relays to get attenuation down to -72 db, and large number of steps is relatviely "cheap" in terms of relays you need to add. Theoretically, with 20 relays I could get away with using .01 db step sizes from 0 db to -50 db.

I'm planning on using: these. When you hook them up so that open and close really fast, all i can hear is a faint buzzing.

Like ble0t says, 256 position Grayhill encoders are "relatively" cheap at $50 from digikey.

My main concern was if the r-2r ladder will work as a volume control, or if it will do horrible things to the signal.

Feb 22, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 13
I think you mean to -71.9dB
wink.gif

That is a very, very picky amount of volume control...you must have sensitive ears!

I guess I'm still a tad confused...are you trying to avoid using a PIC? I would just use the encoder hooked up to a controller that controls some relay driver ICs. That would be a much cheaper solution...

Feb 26, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #12 of 13
You could use the REF input of a CMOS Multiplying DAC as your Signal IN, and use the DAC out as the "wiper".

Then use your encoder/memory algorithim to control the "log" type funtion of the linear 12 bit MDAC....

Check the app notes at Analog Devices and National for more info.

just a thought.....

Jun 4, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by z2trillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Values from eprom turn relays on/off in a 20 bit r-2r ladder adc.

This is pointless, when you can get 1024 volume positions from 10 relays and exponentially weighted resistors. Also, use latching relays; they are activated by momentary pulses and thus you won't get noise coupled in from the coils.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back