72 year old man needs hearing aids,anyone here using them with headphones?
Jul 10, 2022 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Huck

100+ Head-Fier
Looks like I will be needing hearing aids in the near future,so right now I am using a Benchmark DAC1 USB with Shure SRH1840 phones with Blue Dragon cable.
Not really looked into what type of aids are available,(in the ear,over the ear),but just wondering if anyone here is using over the ear headphones with over the ear aids without any trouble,as far as comfort and sound quality?
I realize this is an unusual question,but I don't want to give up listening to music,both with headphones and speakers just because my hearing is a little gone.Thanks,Huck

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #2 of 16
I am very surprised that there is not one 'older' person that replied to my original post about headphone listening with hearing aids. Where are you all??.Thanks,Huck

Jul 23, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #3 of 16
I have significant hearing damage (hyperacusis; tinnitus; some loss with age), but don't wear hearing aids. Is it possible that you won't need to wear your hearing aids while listening to headphones? If you're happy with how your setup sounds now, you're can remove the aids and you're all set. You won't know until you try - with and without them. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #4 of 16
Thanks,I go for picking and choosing HA's next week.
My hearing is weird..one day it's good(not good),but let's say,maybe better one day and worse the next.
Last night when listening to HP's,I had the volume maxxed out on my Benchmark and I could have 'used' some more,but the night before,I could listen at half volume,so is that the way hearing loss first starts out,then gradually peters out and stays at one level or does it still alternate with 'good' and 'bad' days?
My hearing has been 'bad' for a few days straight ,so maybe that's gonna be the way it's going to stay...I dunno.
If ones hearing is 'gone' for good,can it be hurt anymore with loud volumes? Thanks,Huck

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #5 of 16
Excellent choice in the 1840. I'd love a pair

Jul 23, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #6 of 16
Thanks,I go for picking and choosing HA's next week.
My hearing is weird..one day it's good(not good),but let's say,maybe better one day and worse the next.
Last night when listening to HP's,I had the volume maxxed out on my Benchmark and I could have 'used' some more,but the night before,I could listen at half volume,so is that the way hearing loss first starts out,then gradually peters out and stays at one level or does it still alternate with 'good' and 'bad' days?
My hearing has been 'bad' for a few days straight ,so maybe that's gonna be the way it's going to stay...I dunno
If ones hearing is 'gone',can it be hurt anymore with loud volumes? Thanks,Huck
That doesn't sound fun. Sorry.
I had a really good audiologist who took an interest in my needs as a musician (now former). Perhaps you could bring some gear with you to try out different hearing aids.

Jul 23, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #7 of 16
Not likely re: (gear).My AO is like most AO's around my area,they 'specialize' in HA's for speech,not music,so I think I will be 'going through' a few AO's and I am going to try out at least two brands of HA's if they carry them and maybe a few AO's till I find one that can satisfy me regarding HA's for music. My first choice is Widex Moment 440 RIC.Thanks,Huck

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #8 of 16
Not likely(gear).My AO is like most AO's around my area,they 'specialize' in HA's for speech,not music,so I think I will be 'going through' a few AO's and I am going to try out at least two brands of HA's if they carry them.My first choice is Widex Moment 440 RIC.Thanks,Huck
Please keep us posted re: how things work out. Good luck!

Jul 23, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #9 of 16
Thanks,Huck

Jul 24, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #10 of 16
I have significant hearing damage (hyperacusis; tinnitus; some loss with age), but don't wear hearing aids. Is it possible that you won't need to wear your hearing aids while listening to headphones? If you're happy with how your setup sounds now, you're can remove the aids and you're all set. You won't know until you try - with and without them. Just a thought.
That's my whole trouble..right now my Benchmark's volume control is maxxed out,but it 'needs' to go more,at least that's what my hearing is telling me..Hopefully aids will 'fix' that?. Huck

Aug 13, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #11 of 16
Not likely re: (gear).My AO is like most AO's around my area,they 'specialize' in HA's for speech,not music,so I think I will be 'going through' a few AO's and I am going to try out at least two brands of HA's if they carry them and maybe a few AO's till I find one that can satisfy me regarding HA's for music. My first choice is Widex Moment 440 RIC.Thanks,Huck

Please keep us posted re: how things work out. Good luck!
Right now I am trying out a pair of Widex Moment 330 RIC and I have been to my AO four times within a week trying to get them to sound good for music and to make along story short,I am using the vented domes and I can listen to my headphones,which I am doing while I type,zero feedback,plus I can listen to my main speaker/subwoofer system on the 'music' program and it sounds not bad.
These HA's I am trying are one down from the TOTL,but I have on order to try the Phonak Audeo Paradise RIC,so once I get these Widex dialed in,I think it will easier to get the Phonak's up and running with just a few tweaks here and there.
I may even go back to the Widex,but maybe go up to the TOTL 440's..I dunno ,we will see what the Phonaks can do or not do.Thanks,Huck

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #12 of 16
I remember Adam Curry, the former mtv vj and an audio engineer, talking about the Widex evokes and their suitability for audio work.

If i remember correctly it worked well due to the number of compression bands available that allowed for smooth transitions many points of adjustment. I believe he also said he purchased the setup software from widex to create his own profiles so he could keep mixing in the studio.

Aug 13, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #13 of 16
I remember Adam Curry, the former mtv vj and an audio engineer, talking about the Widex evokes and their suitability for audio work.

If i remember correctly it worked well due to the number of compression bands available that allowed for smooth transitions many points of adjustment. I believe he also said he purchased the setup software from widex to create his own profiles so he could keep mixing in the studio.

Are you referring to this featured episode:

https://forum.hearingtracker.com/t/adam-curry-on-hacking-his-high-tech-hearing-aids/51365/6

May 11, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #15 of 16
Right now I am trying out a pair of Widex Moment 330 RIC and I have been to my AO four times within a week trying to get them to sound good for music and to make along story short,I am using the vented domes and I can listen to my headphones,which I am doing while I type,zero feedback,plus I can listen to my main speaker/subwoofer system on the 'music' program and it sounds not bad.
These HA's I am trying are one down from the TOTL,but I have on order to try the Phonak Audeo Paradise RIC,so once I get these Widex dialed in,I think it will easier to get the Phonak's up and running with just a few tweaks here and there.
I may even go back to the Widex,but maybe go up to the TOTL 440's..I dunno ,we will see what the Phonaks can do or not do.Thanks,Huck
I know a few months have passed, so I can imagine that you've settled on a solution by now. For everyone else's edification, I can attest to my experience with the Widex Moment 440 sRIC. The Massdrop HD 6XX work pretty well for me with RIC hearing aids. They've never sounded better, even with all of the EQ I could muster.

I don't agree with Adam Curry's opinion in the referenced JRS video about headphones, though when he says ITE, that could mean the entire unit is in-the-ear, unlike RIC (receiver in canal), so my experience could be different. Still, I don't know how his headphones would sound better or more accurate without his hearing aids. Perhaps he does have RICs and the headphone cups are resting right against and blocking the microphones behind his ear. I have relatively large ears, but don't have that problem with the HD 6XX.

Also, cranking up headphones that haven't been compensated for his hearing loss isn't a good thing - that means he's likely overamplifying sound where his loss is less, and thus potentially creating more loss there.

I too have the Widex Compass GPS software and a Noahlink Wireless adapter ($55 on eBay). I haven't tweaked fine-tuning yet, but I'm only one month in, and don't have the expertise or REM verification equipment. Check out the DIY category on the hearingtracker forum, if you're interested in the "hacking" that Adam is talking about.

Note that the only significant SQ difference for music between the 330 and 440 (which is $1800 more from my provider at Kaiser) is "High-Frequency Boost" and 15 vs. 12 fine-tuning channels. The latter probably won't make much perceptible difference. Most audiograms are more linear than that. The whole line has a dedicated "Music" program that seems to work pretty well.

The Widex secret sauce is their <0.5 ms processing delay, which is at least 4.5 ms less than the other major brands. This is important if you have an open dome fitting that allows outside sound in; the amplified sound mixes with that, and the phase difference can be apparent. Try it sometime in Audacity - mix a song with a copy delayed by 5 ms or more (and perhaps equalized with an upsloping frequency response) and see what you think.

By the way, there are now headphones and earphones coming out that have provisions for integrated audiometric compensation. Look up Mimi Sound Personalization.
This might even help users without hearing loss alleviate their b-stock-churning Goldilocks Syndrome pertaining to issues with stock earphone tunings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back