May 3, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 9
I know the a2+ probably have the best sound quality, but my only worry is that it won't have enough bass response without a separate subwoofer. (I don't have the money to buy a separate sub). Oh btw I listen to electronic music, mostly trance and house if that helps. These will mostly be used for music.

Actually the A2 isn't among the best options for $200 unless space is that much of a premium for you (in which case I'd definitely recommend it over plastic-enclosure PC speakers, even if you pay that much). Adding a subwoofer won't help with its problem however - what they did with the A2 is that they designed the enclosure (port specs, for example) to squeeze out as much bass as they did out of 3in midwoofers, resulting in a lot of bloated bass without the impact. Metal would have a mudslide of bass guitar and double-pedal bass drums, and crunk would have the creeping bass but none of the initial impact on the attack of the bass note; (euro) house almost sounds like it's going through cheap speakers in a cheap club where the initial impact is a little weak but then the bass decay is a little too loose (you can visualize the soundwaves as what the dirt looks like when hit by a shell or cannon ball).

Given you seem to have enough space for the M50W then definitely get that one, as it has enough bass for crunk and really deep bass on techno. If it's most other music types all the way down to house, the 2.0 D1080 have loud enough bass - the ones I had in my room can play with the bass audible from the bathroom across the hall, and that's with the shower running and both doors closed (of course, the interior walls of my house definitely help too).

May 4, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #5 of 9
These Monoprice studio monitors would do you right: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11504&cs_id=1150401&p_id=605500&seq=1&format=2

Then next year, see about getting a sub to with them :)

May 4, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks a lot for the reply! Yeah I think I took the a2+ out of the picture. Do you know anywhere that I can purchase the m50w for shipping to the us? I can't seem to find anywhere that doesnt have insane shipping prices.

Oh I thought you already found where to get them; they've been mostly out of action in online dealers for the past year and I haven't checked TheAudioInsider site recently. I have absolutely no idea why because local dealers here stock them all save for the absolute newest products, which have a little bit of lag before they get here. Swans has dealers listed on their website, if their sites are empty you can shoot each of them an email to check when they might be expecting stocks to arrive. 

If you're in a rush the Monoprice monitors cel4145 posted are also a good deal for the price. I'd assume the bass is good enough considering active desktop speakers like this (and the Swans D1080) use one amp channel on each driver, hence more power with a limited frequency range going to the midwoofers vs passive speakers. Just don't expect it to shake windows off.

May 4, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #7 of 9
put together your own 2.1

sub 

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-SUB-800-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B0063NU30K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1399199400&sr=8-3&keywords=dayton+subwoofer

speakers

http://www.amazon.com/Alesis-Elevate-Speakers-Elliptical-Waveguide/dp/B00F3F7OIS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0FDK3SVKK3758Y2V863X

or something smaller

http://www.amazon.com/Samson-MediaOne-Precision-tuned-Powered-Monitors/dp/B0019ROH02/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399201537&sr=8-2&keywords=samson+monitor

Will be much better than the corsair set for the same money.

May 5, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #9 of 9
I've decided to go with the m50w. I was able to find it on yhe audio insider and they confirmed it was in stock. Also I asked about their free shipping and they said it was actually a mistake but I could take advantage of it. So if anyone wants a good deal on the m50w check that out.

Nice!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back