70s headphones spotting
Jul 16, 2008 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

artinata

New Head-Fier
Hi, it's my first message here.

I'm wondering what kind of model of headphones used by Yellow Magic Orchestra in the seventies / early eighties.

sakamotozg1.jpg

I don't have a better pic, sorry.

They usually wore the same kind of headphones on their first stint as a band (they later reformed a couple of times) from their first tour in 1979 to their last concerts in 1983. Yukihiro Takahashi even wore them when he went solo in the eighties.

I'm betting they were released around 1978 and the brand was AKAI, but I haven't got any idea about what was the model. Can anybody help me?

Dec 8, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #4 of 14
not that anyone cares, but after months and months of searching i've found the model.

victor hp-550.

ftixb4.jpg

34eb7d2.jpg

5poj7k.jpg

i don't know if they were released outside japan, though. if they were, i suppose they were released under the JVC brand. they were some JVC 660 that looked similar, but in brown.

now i've only have to actually find they.

Dec 9, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #7 of 14
thanks a lot!
and yep, i took the pics out of a ended yahoo auction. now that i know the model, i'll search about once a week.

ps: zoolander is the second best movie of the century!

May 4, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #8 of 14
May 4, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 14
at least they are good looking
wink.gif

if they end up sounding bad, they seem like they could make good fosterphones for SFI drivers with some minor modifications.

May 4, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #11 of 14
well, being monitor phones for a historical band back in the eighties, i guess they should sound nice. then again i'm quite cloth-eared, so they should sound nice to me anyway.

Jul 30, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #14 of 14
Hola, wowww los tueve en mis manos, hace unas semanas, me los ofrecieron A $10.00.
Habia un detalle, son algo rigidos, no giran los ejes de los transductores en sentidos vertical, para acomarse a las orejas, pero la construccion es muy buena, el metal, cuero y plasticos utilizados es de buena calidad. Eso si, para restaurarlos, la diadema viene sellada, no es con tornillos sino con remaches.

Veo que hay expectativa por ellos, ire a buscarlos nuevamente. gracias.

Hello, wowww I got them in my hands, a few weeks ago, I was offered A $ 10.00.
There was a detail, are somewhat rigid, do not rotate the transducer shafts in vertical directions, to fit the ears, but the construction is very good, the metal, leather and plastics used is of good quality. That if, to restore them, the diadem is sealed, it is not with screws but with rivets.

I see that there is expectation for them, I will go look for them again. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back