7025 tubes anyone?
May 7, 2002 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

2 channel

500+ Head-Fier
I have been researching the 7025 tube and have been pleasantly suprised. They can be had for $5-$15 and are a direct replacement for the 12XA7 and 5751. Does anyone have any real experience with this family of tubes? I read Nicks brief note in his MG tube rollers guide. I think I'm going to buy some and see how they do in my MG-Head.

Also, what about the guitar brands...ie Groove Tube? This is the brand that fender recommends. They make el84s and I can get a matched air for $20 from my local music store.

thanks,

May 7, 2002 at 11:17 PM Post #5 of 8
I just started my search for awesome current production tubes for the MG Head. I just ordered a 7025 from triodeelectronics - it was the Philips/Sylvania ECG. I also ordered an Electro Harmonix 12AX7-EH and a Sovtek 5751 along with a backup of JJ EL84's. The packaged shipped today so I might even get them by Thursday. I'll let you know how they all compare to this GE 5751 that I have right now ASAP.

May 8, 2002 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by 2 channel
I have been researching the 7025 tube and have been pleasantly suprised. They can be had for $5-$15 and are a direct replacement for the 12XA7 and 5751. Does anyone have any real experience with this family of tubes? I read Nicks brief note in his MG tube rollers guide. I think I'm going to buy some and see how they do in my MG-Head.

I have used a GE 7025 branded CBS in my MG Head from time to time. It performs better than a lot of the more generic 12A*7 types I have used. Not quite as good as my favorite Mullard or Amperex 12A*7 or 5751 types, but if you can get one for $5 or $10 I'd say go for it. I would like more of this type myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2002 at 3:05 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by timoteus

I have used a GE 7025 branded CBS in my MG Head from time to time. It performs better than a lot of the more generic 12A*7 types I have used. Not quite as good as my favorite Mullard or Amperex 12A*7 or 5751 types, but if you can get one for $5 or $10 I'd say go for it. I would like more of this type myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

have you had the opertunity to compare the bugle boy to the sylvania GB 5751, iv been thinking about investing in the bugle boy, but they are awfully pricey...

May 8, 2002 at 5:40 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by sambhara

have you had the opertunity to compare the bugle boy to the sylvania GB 5751, iv been thinking about investing in the bugle boy, but they are awfully pricey...

I haven't purchased a Sylvania 5751. Although I have had the option to a number of times I didn't want to pay the price. The BB can also be expensive but I find it very musical and less electronic sounding than the RCA Command 5751.

I have maybe 20-25 different pulls and NOS 12A*7 and 5751 types that I have plugged in so far and I think all of them sound better than stock. You don't have to pay big bucks to get good sound. But don't let me stop you!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back