701 & Arcam Solo
Apr 20, 2006 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

arwong

New Head-Fier
Newbie to the scene and need some help from the wealth of expertise on this forum. Just purchased a pair of 701's to team up with my ARCAM Solo. Havent cranked up the 100 hrs on the 701's but I've been turning the volume very high to get a decent sound from the cans. Seems I need a headphone amp?? If so what would be most suitable for acoustics and vocals. Thanks

Apr 20, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 4
Price range?

Apr 20, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #3 of 4
I'd have some patience with that set up until the headphones (and the headphone amp in the Solo) are burned in for several hundred hours...

Remember that turning the volume control up high does not mean you don't have enough power. Some volume controls really make use of the full range of adjustment unlike others that get loud very fast at the lower end (which can make people think it's a more powerfull amp than it really is).

Does the amp really not go loud enough when you turn it up?

Someone told me that Arcam was paying attention to the quality of the headphone sound from this unit and I'm very curious as to how well they did. You may find an additional amp is not required.

Let us know more...

Jaygee
580smile.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 4
Patience pays dividends as they always say.... guess I'll have to burn the 701's in. The amp is brilliant in driving my quads 11L but the headphone jack and 701's are not creating the impact.... Have a pair of Ety's ER 4Ps which sound obviously sound better at this stage. Budget wise, up to $1000 US is where I am prepared to spend if a headphone amp is required

Users who are viewing this thread

Back