$700-$800 to spend on headphones what headphones?
Aug 29, 2015 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

mesamitch

New Head-Fier
hey guys i got 775 to blow on headphones willing to put 50 dollars more?

what should i get

My Gear: Schiit valhalla 2, Schiit modi, Schiit magni, Sennheiser hd650's, HD8 Dj's, Ath m50, and Bose QC in ears, 

i just bought hd700's i like them but it sounds like something is always missing and i can't figure out what it is?
and they don't like louder volume for some strange reason?
i got another 10 days? to return them

Thanks for any info guys Thanks!

Aug 29, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 20
Have you heard the AKG K712 Pro?  I really like it with just about anything except rock.  It is a really nice sounding headphone.  The fit is not always perfect especially if you have a smaller head, but they work for me and my skull is on the small side.

Aug 29, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 20
$800 is typically a weird price point where you usually won't find flagship entries and the mid-tier entries at that price point can often be overpriced.

I would say products that would be relatively 'worth it' for what sound quality that they provide that sit under the $1k price point would be the HE-560. The PM-2 (on sale) is worthy of consideration as well. still though, I would recommend saving up a bit more if possible as you will have a lot more options if you can stretch up for well-recommended options in the ~$1.2-$1.5k price point.

For a closed headphone at that $800ish price point, really the Alpha Prime on sale is what stands out in my mind.

However, I do feel like overall that $600-$800 price point is typically comprised of overpriced mid-tier headphones, so I would be careful with auditioning prior to purchasing. Notable headphones in that price range that I would recommend AVOIDING without a personal audition include the hd700, el-8, th600, th500, and mdr-z7. their sound signatures have enough coloration that you really need to hear them for yourself to know if they will be the right fit for you.

hope this is helpful.

edit: for closed over-ear portable, my favorites would be the pm-3 & nad hp50. the akg k545 can be found a really low prices, so that is a good inexpensive option if you are on a strict budget. if just looking at closed without needing portability, I would say the akg k553 and alpha primes are the ones that stick out the most to me personally.

Aug 29, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 20
I'm going to reveal a hidden gem staring you in the face: you could return/sell everything and upgrade to summit-fi!
cool.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/a/head-fi-buying-guide-ultra-high-end-headphones-summit-fi

If you buy used gear, that expands your options. Some summit-fi headphones are available used for around $700, but if you increase your budget by getting rid of unnecessary equipment, you can get even better stuff.

Aug 29, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #7 of 20
 Look into Audioquest Nighthawks, I bought them today at Can Jam. They're semi-open and I haven't found a volume level that distorts them yet. They get VERY loud. They also sound great on a Valhalla. 

When I listened to them at Can Jam at the Schiit display they were between open and closed Mr. Speakers Ethers connected to a Schiit Asgard and they sounded sensational. They're about $699 retail i think. 

Aug 29, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #8 of 20
   Look into Audioquest Nighthawks, I bought them today at Can Jam. They're semi-open and I haven't found a volume level that distorts them yet. They get VERY loud. They also sound great on a Valhalla. 

When I listened to them at Can Jam at the Schiit display they were between open and closed Mr. Speakers Ethers connected to a Schiit Asgard and they sounded sensational. They're about $699 retail i think. 

Nope, $598.75.
normal_smile .gif

(Hope you didn't pay $699 for it today unless there was something extra included.)

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #9 of 20
I agree that $750 is a weird price since it isn't quite summit-fi but it is more than mid range. I would either buy a K701 at around 300, a DT880 around 300, or save up a bit and get a T1 around 1k. I haven't found a dynamic headphone that does every genre better than the T1 in my opinion.

You could also buy used, where a T1 would cost around 650

Aug 30, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #10 of 20

Nope, $598.75.
normal_smile .gif

(Hope you didn't pay $699 for it today unless there was something extra included.)

It was £450 which I'm sure included VAT, which converts to about $692. So $598 is the American price. That's the major drawback about the London Can Jam, Mr. Speakers Ether and Ether C were £1500 with the Can Jam discount which came to $2300+ USD. 

Aug 30, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #11 of 20
I agree that $750 is a weird price since it isn't quite summit-fi but it is more than mid range. I would either buy a K701 at around 300, a DT880 around 300, or save up a bit and get a T1 around 1k. I haven't found a dynamic headphone that does every genre better than the T1 in my opinion.

You could also buy used, where a T1 would cost around 650

OMG, Beyerdynamic has a new T1 coming out that sounded unbelievable...........they said it'll be out in late October-November......................also, Audio Technica is is releasing an update on the W1000x and calling it the W1000z which has the biggest soundstage I've ever heard on a closed can.

I was also told it was incoming October-November.

Aug 30, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #12 of 20
Do all you guys think i should just keep my HD700 and buy a schiit bifrost dac with usb gen 2 with the money i have left?
because i got the hd700 for 500.

and thank you guys with all the help its been really difficult trying to find a headphone are this price so i agree with you guys its a strange price because 3-5 hundred more is a flagship headphone 

and any of you guys know where i can get a HD800 brand new for $1000? because if i could find that headphone for a grand i would would be more then willing to put up a extra 200 dollars

Aug 30, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #14 of 20

OMG, Beyerdynamic has a new T1 coming out that sounded unbelievable...........they said it'll be out in late October-November......................also, Audio Technica is is releasing an update on the W1000x and calling it the W1000z which has the biggest soundstage I've ever heard on a closed can.

I was also told it was incoming October-November.

yeah i just found that out today about the t1 as well, that's why i am not considering getting a t1 anymore because they have the t1 on amazon for 800??? and if a new t1 is coming out i am more then sure the price will probably drop down even more 

Aug 30, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #15 of 20
oh and thank you guys for all your replies back it means a lot to me
unless it's a new in box one being sold by someone, you won't find one for a grand. Sennheiser is VERY strict with their retailer pricing for the hd800. You're not likely to find it anywhere for less than $1400, unless a retailer has some crazy storewide sale going on or something.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back