$70 Closed Over Ear Jazz and Classical
Aug 17, 2013 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Nusho

100+ Head-Fier
Im in the market for some closed, over ear headphones for listening to jazz and classical music.
any suggestions?
I value comfort and durability a lot, but sound quality is definitely important
I can bump up to $100 for some grados, which is what im considering, but what are some other suggestions?
Thanks

Aug 17, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
Im in the market for some closed, over ear headphones for listening to jazz and classical music.
any suggestions?
I value comfort and durability a lot, but sound quality is definitely important
I can bump up to $100 for some grados, which is what im considering, but what are some other suggestions?
Thanks

Heya,

Samson SR950 (closed)
AKG K240 (semi-open)

Definitely wouldn't really go towards Grado for this... but if you love Grado sound and can actually wear them long enough to listen to classical genre, then by all means.

Very best,

Aug 17, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 8
Im not much of an expert on headphones (im more of an iem guy). Why is the grado sound bad for classical?

Aug 18, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Heya,

Samson SR950 (closed)
AKG K240 (semi-open)

Definitely wouldn't really go towards Grado for this... but if you love Grado sound and can actually wear them long enough to listen to classical genre, then by all means.

Very best,

I have not heard grado's b4 but MalVeau know's his stuff [he's listened to more headphones than hairs on my head I'm sure lol]

Non the less... you can SOMETIMES find a used or Refubhised Audio Technica Ath a900x for around $100. I just got one off eBay for $93 [how ever I'm going to sell it here on head fi, as I enjoy the Akg K550 a whole lot more] 

So the Ath a900x is a good option if you an find it. 

Aug 24, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Wouldn't a pair of Koss DJ100's work as well? $50 and pretty good for jazz IMO.

The Koss DJ 200 would, I hated the DJ 100s 

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks guys. How about something close to the $70 mark? Anything else about the Koss Porta Pros? Are they still worth it? What are their acoustic characteristics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back