70/30 Gaming Music Stack
Sep 24, 2023 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Evldice

New Head-Fier
Good day - as I have fallen into this rabbit hole, I find the reviews all over the place. I'm working with an approx. $300 budget for a Stack and $250 for headphones, these will predominately be used for gaming, I don't really play FPS games but more Sims, RPGs, and MMOs. My current contenders are the Schitt Modi+/Magni +, the SMSL SU and SH 6 Stack - Bluetooth is cool, and the Topping L30 II and E30 II. Headphone contenders are the Beyerdynamic PT990 Pro and the H600 or the PC38X - I like bass which is full and kicks when it should, but not overwhelming. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated! Have a great day!

Sep 24, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 14
For your $550 budget, should really be spending more for headphones, than the DAC/amp.
Like get the Topping DX3 Pro DAC/amp ($200?), leaves more in the budget for headphones.

Sep 24, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 14
Thank you for this option, are there better headphone options out there with the sound imaging I like than the HD600? I'm open, just going with what seems to be wildly popular. Does Sennheiser have warranty handling issues?

Sep 24, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #6 of 14
Thank you for this option, are there better headphone options out there with the sound imaging I like than the HD600? I'm open, just going with what seems to be wildly popular. Does Sennheiser have warranty handling issues?

Sennheiser does not really have warranty handling issues, I just found the HD600 to have a price of $300 price for many different sites, so take your pick.

For your gaming and full, yet accurate bass for overall listening, the HD600 is very tough to beat at that price. There is the Focal Elex for $750 on Drop.com that is said to have a more clear overall sound, but even the QC is suspect over time, whereas many HD600 users have said that their driver(s) finally gave out after 8-9 years of daily use, which is very good.

Sep 24, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 14
Sennheiser does not really have warranty handling issues, I just found the HD600 to have a price of $300 price for many different sites, so take your pick.

For your gaming and full, yet accurate bass for overall listening, the HD600 is very tough to beat at that price. There is the Focal Elex for $750 on Drop.com that is said to have a more clear overall sound, but even the QC is suspect over time, whereas many HD600 users have said that their driver(s) finally gave out after 8-9 years of daily use, which is very good.
I’ve been shopping on apos.com and headphones.com, as well as Amazon. They have the Hifiman Ananda for $399, that seems like a good price and the seller is HifiMan. I’ve heard those are really good for gaming too.

Sep 24, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #8 of 14
I’ve been shopping on apos.com and headphones.com, as well as Amazon. They have the Hifiman Ananda for $399, that seems like a good price and the seller is HifiMan. I’ve heard those are really good for gaming too.

The Ananda will probably need some EQ for music and you can find an EQ program that will work best for you here:

https://www.softwaretestinghelp.com/best-equalizer-for-windows-10/amp/

Get this cable for the Ananda, too:

https://www.amazon.com/Youkamoo-Balanced-Compatible-Headphones-Replacement/dp/B08LF36XD2/

To get more bass impact, get the perforated sheepskin leather ear pads for the Ananda:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005341225276.html

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #9 of 14
For your $550 budget, should really be spending more for headphones, than the DAC/amp.
Like get the Topping DX3 Pro DAC/amp ($200?), leaves more in the budget for headphones.
i agree, for this budget, you're better of spending it predominentely on the cans, then the amp, even if you use all of this for headphones, and then get an amp later.
in my opinion, $500 headphones out of a computer will sound much better than $250 headphones out of a budget stack, but i guess you could upgrade the headphone later...

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #10 of 14
Good day - as I have fallen into this rabbit hole, I find the reviews all over the place. I'm working with an approx. $300 budget for a Stack and $250 for headphones, these will predominately be used for gaming, I don't really play FPS games but more Sims, RPGs, and MMOs. My current contenders are the Schitt Modi+/Magni +, the SMSL SU and SH 6 Stack - Bluetooth is cool, and the Topping L30 II and E30 II. Headphone contenders are the Beyerdynamic PT990 Pro and the H600 or the PC38X - I like bass which is full and kicks when it should, but not overwhelming. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated! Have a great day!
if you're sure you want an amp and headphones, you'd do well with a pair of grado sr325x and a topping DX1 DAC/amp

Sep 25, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #13 of 14
Sep 27, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #14 of 14
At the end of the day, I decided to go with the Hifiman Sundara and an SMSL SU6-SH6 (refurbished) Stack for a great deal on Apos, with a full warranty. Starfield, Bulders Gate 3, and World of Warships sound amazing...I'm shocked at what I've been missing in the audio of those games. Lossless Amazon and Apple music is bliss. I listen mostly to metal, but my musical taste is wide and I have yet to hear anything displeasing through the Sundaras. I also enlisted assistance from the Peace EQ to fine-tune the Sundaras for a little more bass while gaming based on the oratory1990 profiles. Perfect to my noob ears. As a side note, I also acquired a pair of Linsoul Tinhifi T3 Plus, and paired them with a $7 Apple lightning cord, music has a whole new meaning when listening to lossless Apple music through my iPhone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back