7 years of Bifrost Multibit + Asgard? Where next?
Jan 7, 2024 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

LeChacal

New Head-Fier
So I've enjoyed 7 great years with the Bifrost Multibit + Asgard 2 paired with LCD-2s for a lot of that time. Back when such a setup was an *enormous* outlay for me, I gazed longingly at the Schiit Gugnir and the seemingly forever out of reach Yggdrasil. 7 years on, the Gugnir is gone and I can have a Yggdrasil + Mjolnir (?) if I want.

I've enjoyed the clarity of my current setup and the sheer immersion factor it's given me over the year.

At year 7 I don't feel I'm missing out on anything, but then I didn't think that prior to having this setup 🤣.

Thoughts on where I might go next?

Jan 7, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #2 of 16
Another headphone seems like the obvious choice.

Jan 7, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #4 of 16
Ahh. Headphones. Where is a good place to start as a step up from the LCD-2?

It will depend on your preference. You have an open back planar, so closed back dynamic?

Jan 7, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #5 of 16
It will depend on your preference. You have an open back planar, so closed back dynamic?
Why would I want to go closed back / dynamic? Is this about having a variety?

I'm also open to hearing that really, if I'm happy with my setup, there isn't any obvious step up. Going from a Magni/Modi w/DT770s to a Bifrost etc then on to LCD-2s was an obvious step forward. Maybe no obvious step forward?

Jan 7, 2024 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 16

I'm also open to hearing that really, if I'm happy with my setup, there isn't any obvious step up. Going from a Magni/Modi w/DT770s to a Bifrost etc then on to LCD-2s was an obvious step forward. Maybe no obvious step forward?

Yes, it's about variety. There are definitely upgrades from where you are, but if you're completely happy, it's cheaper to stop.

Jan 7, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 16

I think it'd be rather hard to go from open back planar to closed dynamic. I'd suggest a JAR600 (available from NITSCH) as a pretty substantial upgrade / dynamic headphone. Planars will always excel with bass texture however, I always find myself reaching for the 580/600 headphones for overall enjoyment.

Jan 7, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #8 of 16
I think it'd be rather hard to go from open back planar to closed dynamic.

It's subjective. I prefer my closed back dynamics over many open back planars.

Jan 7, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #9 of 16

Very interesting, I've struggled with dynamic closed backs. Usually pretty uneven/bassy depending on the manufacturer. There are some good ones out there however.

Jan 7, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #11 of 16
I think it'd be rather hard to go from open back planar to closed dynamic. I'd suggest a JAR600 (available from NITSCH) as a pretty substantial upgrade / dynamic headphone. Planars will always excel with bass texture however, I always find myself reaching for the 580/600 headphones for overall enjoyment.
I have typically always favored open back from my first SR80s to the LCD-2. I did enjoy DT770s for a while though.

I cannot see myself going to closed back after the LCD-2, heck, I'm happy with the LCD-2, was just targeting an DAC and amp upgrade.

Thanks for the JAR600 suggestion, you seem certain they are an upgrade from LCD-2 , comparable price point, I considered many cans prior to the LCD-2 and listened to a bunch of different Sennys, never fully grabbed me. It was a *very* close call between the LCD-2 and the HD600 though.

Jan 7, 2024 at 10:31 PM Post #12 of 16
The JAR is a pretty significant boost in enjoyment, huge rather. I've owned LCD-2's and rather enjoyed them - but they did have their strengths and weaknesses like quite a few other headphones. Even with 8XX's and others, the JAR series is my main go-to.

For dac/amp upgrades (since you enjoy what you have) getting a BF2 OG is a great way to go and can be cost effective. There is also modding potential for your BF1 in the way of an opamp swap. I do these upgrades and there are several discussions about it on this forum and others. A good way to go if you are comfortable soldering/desoldering or can be done by a professional. Pietus Maximus is an incredible amp for the money, however I'm not sure how well it does with Planars. Plenty of power however. The Singxer SA-1 works well with just about everything and is worth a look, they come up used pretty cheap.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #13 of 16
The JAR is a pretty significant boost in enjoyment, huge rather. I've owned LCD-2's and rather enjoyed them - but they did have their strengths and weaknesses like quite a few other headphones. Even with 8XX's and others, the JAR series is my main go-to.

For dac/amp upgrades (since you enjoy what you have) getting a BF2 OG is a great way to go and can be cost effective. There is also modding potential for your BF1 in the way of an opamp swap. Several documented cases there online you can look up. Pietus Maximus is an incredible amp for the money, however I'm not sure how well it does with Planars. Plenty of power however. The Singxer SA-1 works well with just about everything and is worth a look, they come up used pretty cheap.
Thank you once again. I'm located in New Zealand and unlikely to have an opportunity to listen to the JARs prior to purchasing, and that's always been a red line for me when buying cans. Probably why I had the LCD-2 v HD comparison, I was able to spend some time with both locally before buying.

Yeah, I think if I do an amp upgrade, it would be more in the Mjolnir direction ..

Feb 3, 2024 at 11:15 PM Post #14 of 16
I'm starting to think I should just give @CEE TEE my credit card to keep on file, because he seems to have a way of making me want one of everything he makes (starting with the Pietus Maximus)...

Feb 3, 2024 at 11:48 PM Post #15 of 16
I'm starting to think I should just give @CEE TEE my credit card to keep on file, because he seems to have a way of making me want one of everything he makes (starting with the Pietus Maximus)...

I really like the Pietus Maximus, this is my main headphone amp and I couldn't be happier. Combined with my JAR series headphone it's been a knockout. Do recommend either the BF2 OG or MMB2 (NOS) with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back