7" Vinyl sales are up
Sep 20, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 8
I don't think the 7" will be the format of the future but I do believe that vinyl will outlast any physical digital format like RBCD, HDCD, DVD-A or SACD. Those that want the tune and only the tune will buy it online. Those that want something physical will burn it to CD or whatever format exists, but those that want something truly unique will stick with vinyl. Vinyl really does offer something special. Nothing competes with the album art and insert art/notes of an LP.

Sep 20, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #4 of 8
mark my words, someday CDs will go the way of the reel to reel, cassette tape, DAP, SACD, DVD-A, MP3, HDCD, etc etc etc...and Vinyl will stand small but tall, laughing as technology tries yet again. Ain't no shame surviving like a shiny black laquered cockroach - eventually that's all that shall persist!

Sep 21, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 8
I hope not, I enjoy owning the physical media of the music that I buy. CD is also easier to maintain than vinyl and requires less storage space per disc and easier to rip into digital formats. LONG LIVE CD?!
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #6 of 8
I bought 20 or so 45s from oldies.com last year. It was the first time I bought new 45s in over 20 years! I also bought a bunch of vintage 45 box set albums on ebay. That's because I have a few vintage record changers to play them on again, including a bakelite RCA 45-only changer. I wanted one of those since I saw it in "The Last Picture Show" -- it's so cool the way the records waiting up on the stack spin around.

I've found it's very enjoyable to listen to music on equipment that's more or less contemporaneous to the recording. The labels, the lost B-sides, the sense of time and place, and the sound original engineers expected people would hear . . . it's a rich experience even if you're trading off SQ.

Sep 21, 2006 at 11:42 AM Post #8 of 8
All the underground metal bands and labels are making splits and EP's on Vinyl so I am not surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back