7.1 virtual surround on foobar?
Jan 12, 2013 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dsdsds

Head-Fier
Does anyone know how to do it? and what settings are the best or what each one does? this is for my stereo headphones since i dont have a 7.1 "gaming" headset i want some 7.1 experience howi can achieve it via DSPs throught foobar? so far i am using the 5.1 headphone configuration using channel mixer and dolby headphone.

Any thoughts?

no i am not going to buy a 7.1 headset cause i already have those sennheiser HD, i just want to get some 7.1 on it to check how is it.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #2 of 11
Why? Even 5.1 doesn't make sense for music - just for movies and gaming. Live music is presented on a stage in 2.1 so going simulated 7.1 to me would just sound artificial and ruins any sense of space that was there.

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
Why? Even 5.1 doesn't make sense for music - just for movies and gaming. Live music is presented on a stage in 2.1 so going simulated 7.1 to me would just sound artificial and ruins any sense of space that was there.

I want soundstage, laidback experience for stereo music because stereo alone hurt my ears so much, the 5.1 does the job well but i wanted to try a simulated 7.1.

and it does not need to be 5.1 or 7.1 anyway but something that will give me the best soundstage there is as far as DSP and foobar go.

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

I want soundstage, laidback experience for stereo music because stereo alone hurt my ears so much, the 5.1 does the job well but i wanted to try a simulated 7.1.

and it does not need to be 5.1 or 7.1 anyway but something that will give me the best soundstage there is as far as DSP and foobar go.

I will re-iterate that it doesn't make sense. What you're doing is actually ruining the soundstage by making sounds have stereoscopic properties that don't exist.

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
I will re-iterate that it doesn't make sense. What you're doing is actually ruining the soundstage by making sounds have stereoscopic properties that don't exist.

i actually wanted more laidback experience, normal stereo hurts a lot compared to this http://www.head-fi.org/t/447089/5-1-headphone-experience-foobar-configuration-for-all-stereo-music-files

i just want something to sound better than that.

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #8 of 11
I am also searching for something like this, a virtual surround plug-in I can use with Foobar.   A way to route any players output to a virtual surround output would also be good.  

For casual listening, I have a Creative Labs X-Fi USB Dac.  It sounds pretty good at the office, and I have found that I prefer to listen to most MP3 type material and Pandora etc. with the THX surround funtionality tuned in.  Takes the sound outside the confines of the headphones, and gives it more depth.  While it changes the soundstage somewhat, I don't find the effect artificial, and the expanded soundstage is addictive.  

I'd love to have the option to use something like this with a high quality Dac/amp. 

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #9 of 11
Xonars have the 7.1 shifter, which upmixes 5.1 DH to 7.1...doesn't work all that well, though.

I recommend this, I can't listen to music on cans any other way anymore:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/555263/foobar2000-dolby-headphone-config-comment-discuss

Basically, 5.1 is the best you can do right now.

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #10 of 11
Simple really - check this thread ..... http://www.head-fi.org/t/555263/foobar2000-dolby-headphone-config-comment-discuss

Or alternative (for a price) - http://www.head-fi.org/t/689299/out-of-your-head-new-virtual-surround-simulator

I have both.  OOYH is very enjoyable for music and movies.

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #11 of 11
Cool! And I do like what Dolby headphone does the few times I have heard it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back