7.1 Surround through headphones, questions on the basics
Jan 28, 2014 at 2:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Lorfa

New Head-Fier
I was hoping the wonderful community here could help clear up some issues that I think should be obvious but for whatever reason aren't to me.

As far as I can tell, 7.1 surround through headphones must be virtual, since there aren't 8 "speakers" but two.

A lot of gaming headphones are coming with a usb attachment that boasts 7.1 surround. Is virtual 7.1 surround not possible through on-board sound cards + headphones already?

Do discrete sound cards offer this functionality as well, bypassing the need for the usb thingy?

Are there some on-board sound cards that can do this already?

Jan 28, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #2 of 9
  I was hoping the wonderful community here could help clear up some issues that I think should be obvious but for whatever reason aren't to me.
As far as I can tell, 7.1 surround through headphones must be virtual, since there aren't 8 "speakers" but two.
A lot of gaming headphones are coming with a usb attachment that boasts 7.1 surround. Is virtual 7.1 surround not possible through on-board sound cards + headphones already?
Do discrete sound cards offer this functionality as well, bypassing the need for the USB thingy?
Are there some on-board sound cards that can do this already?

The "USB attachment" is an external USB sound card.

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #3 of 9
Yes, there are sound cards that do the same thing. The Creative Sound Blaster Z, Zx, and ZxR all have whats called SBX Pro Studio, The ASUS line of cards use Dolby Headphone. Alternatively you could use Razor Surround which is software base and seems to work pretty well with just about any pair of headphones.

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #4 of 9
It's fully possible to have 7.1 surround sound via headphones.

Headphones only have two speakers; you also only have two ears.  It is the way in which the audio is presented to your ears that creates the illusion of surround.

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #7 of 9

Ok, but why is it necessary?

Wow, not sure who to answer that?
You would think that headphone surround sound could be fully processed by a modern computer's CPU.

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #9 of 9

That's why I'm asking.

I have a friend who is working on a new PC build, and he's worried that will not be able to get 7.1 surround.

An Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card (used $60), with a Magni head amp ($99), will give him virtual 7.1 surround sound for headphones, plus you can use just about any headphone made in the world with a Xonar/Magni combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back