6XX vs Sundara
Feb 2, 2022 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Kretoo

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone! a newbie here, I started my journey with a pair of Philips SHP 9500 combined with a Fiio K3 Dac/Amp. I've been happy with this system until recently as I'm starting to notice the flaws of these headphones, the treble can get pretty harsh, the mids are grainy, no details, and the sub-bass is pretty much non-existent. So I sold them.
Now I'm looking forward for an upgrade, with a budget of $700-$1000 for an entire headphone system build. I'm considering to get either the 6XX or the Sundara after I've watched some reviews, tho I'm not sure which one to pick yet, which's better?
As for the Dac/Amp combo, I got no idea what to get. Should I go with a Schiit Magnius + Modius? Or should I go for the Fiio K9 Pro? Or maybe a Tube Amp? also, is there any better headphones/dac/amp recommendation? would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #2 of 21
I have both the Sundara’s and the HD-6XX’s and will probably pick the Sundara’s most of the time. To be honest I do like planars a bit more than some dynamics but the 6XX is also a very good headphone. Pair the 6XX with a Bottlehead Crack and the Mids are just crazy good I have a couple of other amps I like them with like a Cavalli Tube Hybrid and iFi Zen Can Signature 6XX but not so much with my Magni 3 or Atom amp I just find them ok.
I just think the Sundara’s do some things better and also give your more soundstage. Just my 2 cents.

Feb 2, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #3 of 21
I started with the Sundara and Magni/Modi 3+ and it was a great experience. Subjective, but I'd say the Sundara is more "fun" than the 6xx, though the mids on the 6xx can't be beat at its price. Disclosure--I didn't own them at the same time but a month apart. After I sold my Sundara, I ended up wanting to try the Senns and now have the 6xx. Will likely sell or trade it off, too.

Feb 2, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 21
I own both and I echo the other comments. I would personally choose Sundara over 6XX, although I do like the latter too. To throw something else out there - why not think about Hifiman Edition XS? That would be something on the level of the Ananda but cheaper, and you would have budget left to afford the Schiit stack.

Feb 2, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 21
I own both and I echo the other comments. I would personally choose Sundara over 6XX, although I do like the latter too. To throw something else out there - why not think about Hifiman Edition XS? That would be something on the level of the Ananda but cheaper, and you would have budget left to afford the Schiit stack.
Ordered the Edtion XS to give them a try.

Feb 2, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #7 of 21
Ordered the Edtion XS to give them a try.

Did you just buy the XS based on a post? Cause I've heard good things about the Meze Elite.

Feb 2, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #8 of 21
I have both the Sundara’s and the HD-6XX’s and will probably pick the Sundara’s most of the time. To be honest I do like planars a bit more than some dynamics but the 6XX is also a very good headphone. Pair the 6XX with a Bottlehead Crack and the Mids are just crazy good I have a couple of other amps I like them with like a Cavalli Tube Hybrid and iFi Zen Can Signature 6XX but not so much with my Magni 3 or Atom amp I just find them ok.
I just think the Sundara’s do some things better and also give your more soundstage. Just my 2 cents.
What Dac/Amp combo do you recommend for the Sundara's? I'm thinking of Fiio k9 Pro

Feb 3, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #9 of 21
To echo everyone else, I would take the Sundara most days. I have them as well as the HD650's. You can find them open box for a pretty good price, I think I paid $250 for mine.

I used mine with a modi multibit + vali 2 hybrid to start and I really enjoyed the whole experience. Now I use a modius and valhalla 2, am waiting for my solid-state amp to come. Traditional tube amps are kinda fussy with the planars and can make them sound kinda muddy.

Feb 6, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #10 of 21
Did you just buy the XS based on a post? Cause I've heard good things about the Meze Elite.
Not because of this particular post. I’ve heard the Elites and they are just not for me and just picked up the Abyss Diana TC’s last month so don’t want to piss off the wife that much but my Diana V2’s will probably be going up for sale pretty soon.

Feb 6, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #11 of 21
What Dac/Amp combo do you recommend for the Sundara's? I'm thinking of Fiio k9 Pro
Have not heard the K9 pro but I’m pretty sure it will do fine as they seem to be fairly forgiving and just need a little more power.

Feb 6, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #12 of 21
Not because of this particular post. I’ve heard the Elites and they are just not for me and just picked up the Abyss Diana TC’s last month so don’t want to piss off the wife that much but my Diana V2’s will probably be going up for sale pretty soon.

Ha! I've convinced mine to go to Canjam NY with me... we'll see how that goes. I noticed you have several Abyss headphones--is the v2 not as enjoyable as the others?

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #13 of 21
Ha! I've convinced mine to go to Canjam NY with me... we'll see how that goes. I noticed you have several Abyss headphones--is the v2 not as enjoyable as the others?
Yes a enjoyable headphone no doubt just the 1266’s are the 1266’s and the Diana TC just a bit closer to them than the V2’s they are still a great headphone.
I’ll be at CanJam NYC also hope to see you there and will probably have my TC’s with me as well.

Feb 8, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #14 of 21
I've had all those and the Hifiman Sundara pairs well with the Schiit Magni Heresy, and I liked the Khadas tone board or Topping D10s DAC, the modi 3 I had didn't put out 2volts (I think it's 1.45) and held back the Magni it was on at the time.

Feb 13, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #15 of 21
I have both the Sundara's and the 6XX's and I prefer the Sundara's. I use a Schiit Modi 3+ and a Dragonfly Red and Black Dac and enjoy all three. I have an Emotiva A-100 BassX amp that drives them well but it has been discontinued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back