6SN7/6AS7 Interchangable?
Jul 4, 2004 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

pirate

100+ Head-Fier
Just got my Eddie Current amp and at first I had the two tubes switched. The sound that came out of the reversed tubes seemed to sound better than with them placed correctly, although there is a static noise with the right configuration after listening to it for 10 minutes, even before it started to produce static, I still didn't enjoy it as much as the reversed configuration. Does anyone know if the 6SN7 could be used in place of the 6AS7 or vice versa? Would this damage the tubes or amp?

Jul 4, 2004 at 2:13 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by pirate
Just got my Eddie Current amp and at first I had the two tubes switched. The sound that came out of the reversed tubes seemed to sound better than with them placed correctly, although there is a static noise with the right configuration after listening to it for 10 minutes, even before it started to produce static, I still didn't enjoy it as much as the reversed configuration. Does anyone know if the 6SN7 could be used in place of the 6AS7 or vice versa? Would this damage the tubes or amp?

ABSOLUTELY NOT. You will damage the amp. Static noise or hum? I would email Craig.

Jul 4, 2004 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Static noise or hum? I would email Craig.

For some reason the static seemed to stop? But there is still a hum at high volumes.

Jul 4, 2004 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by pirate
For some reason the static seemed to stop? But there is still a hum at high volumes.

Is there hum at your normal listening level? Thats whats important. If you can hear hum with the music playing or between songs you need to email Craig. The static was likely the svetlena tube as it goes up to its normal operating temperature; mine did that. Did you have the tubes fully seated in their sockets? This can cause hum or buzzing too.

Jul 4, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Is there hum at your normal listening level? Thats whats important. If you can hear hum with the music playing or between songs you need to email Craig. The static was likely the svetlena tube as it goes up to its normal operating temperature; mine did that. Did you have the tubes fully seated in their sockets? This can cause hum or buzzing too.

I emailed Craig about the static problem. There is only a hum when I turn the volume pot towards max with the source disconnected, otherwise I don't hear it, but isn't an amp at this price range supposed to be black even at full volume? For the static, it makes the music unlistenable until it finally goes away, which is usually does after 5-10 minutes (not always). Is it supposed to do this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back