6moons are now reviewing DIY gear
Oct 18, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 6
That's good stuff! I've been getting the impression lately that DIY is making a big come back in audiophilia and this just reinforces it.

Maybe someday we will count for a a full 25% of a group that counts for .01% of music consumers in the world.
orphsmile.gif

Seriously can someone explain their "5 owner rule" in relationship to DIY? I've read that sentence four or five times and it still makes no sense.

As far as I can tell they want contact info from 5 other people that have made the same piece of equipment from the same PCB? But are they all supposed to use the same components? Does it only apply to kits? Will they only be reviewing kits in the future? Are they generally only going to review commissioned pieces? It seems very unclear.

Oct 18, 2005 at 7:03 AM Post #3 of 6
That's cool! What would be even cooler was if someone would lend them a (high spec) PPAv2 to test. Maybe even with a modified Linkwitz crossfeed (and perhaps even a STEPS psu. ...Concidently the very same setup that I'm planning). :wink: Shouldn't be too hard to find five owners/builders with a willingness to talk about their amps either, around here, I reckon.
600smile.gif

My guess about the five owner rule, is that it must suffice to have the same PCBs and/or basic design. Variations in componend brands and value "adjustments" should probably be allowed.

Oct 18, 2005 at 12:58 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by blip
Seriously can someone explain their "5 owner rule" in relationship to DIY? I've read that sentence four or five times and it still makes no sense.

I think, based on the first sentence of the explanation, that they are looking for DIYFP and the small time manufacturers, like Rockhopper Audio for example. They don't want to review something that can't be bought in exactly the same configuration and I'm sure they also want to talk to a few customers to make sure that the vendor submitting the product for review is legit. I don't think that they are looking to review DIY projects that people have built for themselves.

Nate

Oct 18, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
I think, based on the first sentence of the explanation, that they are looking for DIYFP and the small time manufacturers, like Rockhopper Audio for example. They don't want to review something that can't be bought in exactly the same configuration and I'm sure they also want to talk to a few customers to make sure that the vendor submitting the product for review is legit. I don't think that they are looking to review DIY projects that people have built for themselves.

Nate

Reading it today, that's what it sounds like to me as well.

Ah well I suppose it makes sense, though it would be nice for a truly high-end magazine to review DIY products based on design, not on producer. While some may disagree, I think that that kind of design based, mainstream-audiophile criticism could do a lot to expand and improve the DIY audio community.

Anyway, its a big step in the right direction.

Oct 18, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #6 of 6
I don't consider anything like that DIY gear but more in line with the old Audio Magazines doing a review of a Heathkit or Dynakit which this is closer to than a "one of" scrath build.

True DIY is designing building,tweaking for sound your own device using available spec sheets then tweeking it for sound on the breadboard before lashing it up and casing it.
Plugging parts into a pc board fro a fully engineered design is Kit Building or like some sellers call it "Half Kits" (Hagerman,Borbely,Welborne Labs,Audio By Van Alstine).

It is cool but no way the builders of the Dynakits or Eico Kits or Heathkits of old had any more of a clue how to modify the actual circuit parameters than the new "kit builders" have any idea how to modify the modern equivalents.
Just like most Heathkit builders never took a moment to understand what they were building so if it blew up had to send it out for repair there being no "instant feedback" of the internet for this.

So a better heading would be "6 Moons Reviewing Semi-Kits" since that design is a fully engineered one (DIYAudio forums,Pass subforum) and more plug 'n play than DIY.
Or do we call assembly line workers "DIYers" now
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back