6G Nano - why did it take Apple this long ??
Jan 22, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #17 of 25
iPod Nano 6th Generation Teardown - iFixit

I'm assuming the chip of interest is the Apple 339S0104, the Samsung APL3278A01 ARM-based SoC that's outlined in blue on some of the pics.

I have no clue what any of this means, so don't ask!
wink.gif

FAKE EDIT: Have to say I'm quite surprised that the battery is just one-third the capacity of that of the Clip+'s.  ****ing iPods, how do they work?

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #19 of 25
If it came in 32gb I'd have bought 1 of these little watch AAC players the day it was released,...alas, no such luck for me. Guess I'm stuck w/an iPod: mini @32gb, video 5.5G, nano 5G, classic 7G, and an iPhone 4,... Ah, the sadness of it all,... 
wink_face.gif

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #21 of 25
Still not ready to adequately compare the Nano to the J3, but as a relative noob I have a quick question about terminology.  Someone already mentioned the Nano is a warmish player, I suspect the Cowon is a cold player.  Is this the correct?

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #22 of 25

Quote:
Still not ready to adequately compare the Nano to the J3, but as a relative noob I have a quick question about terminology.  Someone already mentioned the Nano is a warmish player, I suspect the Cowon is a cold player.  Is this the correct?

Several people here have described their Cowon as 'cold' - mine was probably more 'neutral' than anything else, but its subjective. Detail levels are very good, so I guess it just comes down to whether you like the player or not - the UI on mine was crapola.

As for the comments re 'audiophiles will get a shock when we can bypass the DAC', I assume you mean 'bypass it in a truly portable rig', and that is already a reality. The more I think about it, bypassing the DAC and amp on the iPod/iPad makes it an 'intelligent flash drive' (or hard drive in the case of the classic) - I dont think too many over at Computer Audiophile would be shocked by the concept that flash-based music can sound phenomenal : they are happy to hook some very expensive kit up to SSD-based rigs.

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #23 of 25
@estreeter -  I'm with you estreeter. I put my 3G Touch 64gb toe to toe with my new Cowon D2+. I gave exact detail in another post, but suffice it to say that the Touch won out over the D2+. The Touch is a mofo DAP, and with Yuin PK-1's, sounds great. Yep, great! (I returned the D2+ to Amazon)

Jan 23, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #24 of 25
Just received a 6G nano as a gift, I must say I agree with the original post.. The 6th gen iPod is one of the best iPod's I have heard. It is different than my 5.5th gen, which I still love.  But the 6G nano is great on the detail end, very clean and analytical w out sounding too digital (but better than the awful 6th gen iPod Classic) but that could change with your headphones. I am currently using mdr-ex300 (one of my favourite IEMS that I own). It is still warm sounding in comparison to the 2G touch...Yes Apple, why did it take this long!.  Recommended purchase...Best worn on shirt sleeve.

Jan 23, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #25 of 25
As I said in my initial post, its easy to write a lot of the 'gee whiz' factor off on new toy joy syndrome, but I readily admit that it may be the opposite of the usual - in this case, my expectations werent as high as they would be with a $220 pair of headphones, for example. Always better to have low expectations exceeded than the inverse :)

I had intended to buy the Clip+ this week to be able to give HFiers some sort of comparison, but I can no longer see any point - this DAP is as warm as I could want and spending more money just doesnt make sense atm. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back