6G iPod: I think we know what's coming
Jan 9, 2007 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

jadalias

100+ Head-Fier
I thought we should start a new thread for this.

Take the iPhone. Now yank all the phone junk out and throw that new single platter 60gb 1 inch drive in there. Then we'll have a 60gb wifi widescreen touch screen iPod video.

A 120gb dual platter 1 inch drive has been announced, so figure we have a 60gb about the size of the iPhone and a slightly thicker 120gb.

If they'd offer an itunes supscription service, you could browse it from either the 6G iPod or the new iPhone, streaming tracks when you're connected or downloading them for later.

I think the 6G iPod will be released with these features, but they'll probably let the iPhone come out first so as not to steal any of its thunder. Maybe by next October we'll see a 6G iPod like this.

Jan 10, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 46
If they could do this then I'd be well impressed and I'd jump for one. 120Gb of video and music would be nice. Plus an ability to browse the online music direct from the device and stream/download to the device would be great.

Jan 10, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #3 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by jadalias /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought we should start a new thread for this.

Take the iPhone. Now yank all the phone junk out and throw that new single platter 60gb 1 inch drive in there. Then we'll have a 60gb wifi widescreen touch screen iPod video.

A 120gb dual platter 1 inch drive has been announced, so figure we have a 60gb about the size of the iPhone and a slightly thicker 120gb.

If they'd offer an itunes supscription service, you could browse it from either the 6G iPod or the new iPhone, streaming tracks when you're connected or downloading them for later.

I think the 6G iPod will be released with these features, but they'll probably let the iPhone come out first so as not to steal any of its thunder. Maybe by next October we'll see a 6G iPod like this.

I completely agree with this statement. Although I reckon they'll make minor asthetic changes so that it's not 100% the same. I hope that they incorporate a metal casing like the current generation ipod nanos and that they keep the small camera which is fine for snapshots. 120gb isn't a long shot how that we've hit 80gb and as said the drives do exist right now. As long as they save the wifi (I can live without bluetooth) it really becomes a boundless device. If they can keep the same price point that they always do, welcome to my wallet.

Jan 10, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 46
I'm hoping for a more minimalist design. The big touch screen sounds fantastic, but I really hope they skip WiFi and the camera. I'd just like to see the iPod's current features improved.

Jan 10, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #7 of 46
I would rather see the 6G iPod be the same size as the 5G but have a scroll wheel the size of the nano's in order to make room for a larger widescreen LCD to fill up the remaining space. An updated GUI that is less plain and boring would be nice too. Please, no greasy touch screen.

Jan 10, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #8 of 46
ipods will never have cameras or internet support. that would totally destroy the iphone concept... and make the ipod cost as much as the iphone.

i'd rather spend 300 dollars on..

120GB HDD / 32 GB SSD
digital amplifier
larger, more vibrant lcd
touch screen
higher mW output

we'll probably only get a bigger LCD, a touch screen, and the bigger HDD/SSD.

ughughuhgh. i really want a 32gig SSD.

Jan 10, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #9 of 46
One thing I would like to see is a digital output. So many iPod products are using the analog line out from the dock connector, you'd think that some accessory makers would be requesting a better way to get the music off the iPod (I'm thinking of some of those high end accessory makers, not the $100 boombox crowd).

Jan 10, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ipods will never have cameras or internet support. that would totally destroy the iphone concept... and make the ipod cost as much as the iphone.

I disagree. Wifi connectivity is cheap. Adding 802.11g doesn't cost very much at all. As for the camera, maybe they wouldn't include that, and I sure wouldn't want to pay for it because I don't care.

Not being able to make phone calls with the 6G, it would be kind of hard for it to "destroy the whole iphone concept."

Jan 10, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #11 of 46
Once Apple uses one of these as the storage device of the iPhone, then I'll be interested. Until then, I'd rather have a 30gb iPod and a separate cell phone.

Though, I have to admit, Coverflow on the iPhone looks sooo cool.
untitledic0.jpg

Jan 10, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #12 of 46
i love the iphone's ipod interface. just that would make me incredibly happy. i'm probably going to get a macbook or macbook pro once panther comes out, and my 15gig 3g ipod is dying, so i'd love to get a new ipod along with it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #13 of 46
I would really like to see a 120 drive...the smaller click wheel of the nano and the option of SD expansion. This would be enough to entice me to upgrade and hand over my iPhoto to my wife. However...to make it REALLY nice, optical out or true line-out on the unit would make this the de facto audiophile player for the time being.

Jan 10, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taphil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would rather see the 6G iPod be the same size as the 5G but have a scroll wheel the size of the nano's in order to make room for a larger widescreen LCD to fill up the remaining space. An updated GUI that is less plain and boring would be nice too. Please, no greasy touch screen.

The only reason they would update the GUI is if they add a touch screen, otherwise it's just a software upgrade.

As long as they allow the 6G ipod to only deal with music and video, I can't see it being any competition to the iphone. The iphone can do a whole lot more than(did you see that web browsing?) a regular ipod with phone capabilities.

Jan 10, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Though, I have to admit, Coverflow on the iPhone looks sooo cool.

I dunno....it doesn't work well in iTunes on my dual core MacBook Pro or dual core Windows PC, I have to slide through each artist one by one to get the album art to show up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back