6G iPod Classic and Sony X1060 side-by-side
Oct 6, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #16 of 23
Very excellent review. I do agree - the Sony is more fun and full sounding whereas the iPod Classic, while good sounding, is more sterile. I really like both implementations. Sony have added nearly 0,5 - 1 decibel of mid to low bass to keep the sound fuller, even without any equalisation.

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #17 of 23
I think Classic even improve more with AMPs help through LOD........

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #18 of 23
Intelligent review. Thanks. And yes, the 1st gen touch is abysmal. The EQ alone worth to buy the Sony. I don't know if it has factory boosted lows. May be. I couldn't care less, because it sounds just right!

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #19 of 23
Whenever I get bored by SQ of my X1061 I listen to iTouch. Then I realize how good X sounds. No offense to iPod folks, but I cannot endure the sound of iPods.

Oct 6, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whenever I get bored by SQ of my X1061 I listen to iTouch. Then I realize how good X sounds. No offense to iPod folks, but I cannot endure the sound of iPods.

HAHAHA Sometimes I go back to my S738, and touch 1G and 2G just to see how much of an upgrade the X is. I frankly couldn't be happier with the X.

@ Estreeter

Nice review and by the way how does the two compare in terms of sound stage and transparency?

Oct 6, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #21 of 23
I'd be happy to compare the current Touch and iPhone 3GS with the Sony players, but I just dont have the cash to go out and buy every DAP/phone on the market. Never cease to be amazed by the number of folk who ask for comparisons between 3 or more of the latest players - I guess you might as well throw it all out there and see what comes back.

Short of a quick store audition (or a MoT giving their impressions, but many of the retail salespeople I've spoken to seem to think all iPods sound the same, and have little idea of other players ..), I have no idea how some posters expect Head-Fiers to stay on the bleeding edge with competing players. I guess thats Head-Fi, and its surprising what comes out of the woodwork, but its a lot of cash for an area where there is so much churn - this months rooster rapidly becomes next months feather duster.

The X Series is already 'old hat' for many here, but I still see it as a flagship model. Creative are currently selling their top X-Fi for about half of the asking price of the X here in Oz, but I was immediately taken with the power of the amp in the X along with the excellent EQ. Next step will probably be mating the Classic with a D10 or similar, but that can wait till 2010.

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

estreeter

Oct 6, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #22 of 23
I will agree that the sound of the X is "manipulated" to sound more entertaining.

This is so good when a recording is mediocre. It becomes bearable and even entertaining.

The 2G Touch is ruthless with less than excellent recordings. This is true for my High End component stereo set-up too.

Audio equipment that reveal detail follow the GIGO (Garbage In Garbage Out) rule really close...

Unfortunatelly this means more work for the user. One has to make sure he rips quality music, in a quality manner.

When I first used the ipod I fed it with everything I could throw at it. I soon realised that this method would not work.
So, I changed policy and restricted this machine to my best recordings and re-ripped many of my favorite tracks to lossless.

When you do that however, the reward is a fantastic SQ experience with ample detail combined with smoothness and rich lows. I really find it hard to describe how good this thing can sound!

Oct 6, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #23 of 23
CENTRAL, again, I am more than happy to listen to the 2G Touch, so please send yours to :

estreeter
C/O Australia

Thanks !
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back