6CG7 to 6SN7 adaptor on a PPX3?
Apr 2, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use the 6GU7. The 6GU7 is a drop in substitute .... no adapter needed. Furthermore, the 6GU7s are only $5 tubes. The 6GU7 sounds more open and spacious than the 6CG7 used for gain. Even better, you can use them as output tubes and the 6GU7 will give you a current output similar to a 5687 with low impedance headphones.

I love this tube. I tried three in my MPX3 the other night and I cant believe how good the amp sounds now. I used a Sylvania 6GU7 for gain with two RCA 6GU7s doing output duty driving Alessandro MS2s. I highly recommend this tube. The Sylvania and Raytheons are clear, clean and fast while the RCAs are rich, smooth and refined.

Are the 6GU7 really a direct electrical substitute? How does one go about checking this? I'm just worried about damaging my mpx-3 - they aren't really made any more...
wink_face.gif

Apr 2, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by grox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the 6GU7 really a direct electrical substitute? How does one go about checking this? I'm just worried about damaging my mpx-3 - they aren't really made any more...
wink_face.gif

Definitely .... look at the spec sheet. You will see the 6FQ7 listed as the preferred substitute for the 6GU7. The 6FQ7 is the same tube as the 6CG7 minus the original shield in the 6CG7. So, if the amp was made with 9 pin sockets and used the 6CG7 .... the 6GU7 is a drop in sub.

NJ7P Tube Database Search

If you have an MPX3 with octal tube sockets you would have to use an adapter to convert the pinout and base type. If you have adapters you can use the 6CG7 in the adapter too.

Here in my MPX3 using the 6GU7 X 3 with 6CG7 to 6SN7 adapters ....

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

I have used adapters in this amp for years now. Here is the same MPX3 with a 7N7/ adapter for gain duty and 2 x 5687/ adapters for the output tubes.

Picture093.jpg

Apr 3, 2009 at 9:16 AM Post #19 of 25
FWIW,, listen to what sacd luv is saying,, thanks to him, I've been using a the 6gu7's for about a year,,wonderful tubes,, one of my fav's is the RCA "blackplates",,a variety of these tubes can be had for not much money,,at least foe now.Good luck.

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool! Thanks.
Any ideas on how they sound?

The 7N7 is essentially a 6SN7GT with the special locktal base. The 7N7 dates back to the 1940s. All 7N7s were made by Sylvania except the very rare Nation Union 7N7 .... which is also extremely good sounding. Unfortunately, NU went out of business around 1950 and there just are not many around. The earlier 7N7 sounds great but there are several variations.

The original tall bottle version is the equivalent of the wonderful sounding Sylvania VT-231 and clearly the best, IMO. The tube was changed to a short bottle type in the early 1950s and maintained a similar plate structure. This 2nd version was like the standard short bottle Sylvania 6SN7GT from the same era and this is another excellent tube. But, this version is hard to find; probably because this second version only existed in this form for a few years. I have far more luck finding the older tall bottle 7N7s .... probably because there was a lot of military stock.

The final version was the short bottle tringular plate 7N7. This version is equivalent to the later 6SN7GTA/B and is the most available = easiest to find. This triangular plate tube has different specs and can handle far higher plate voltages. But, the changes made to allow the tube handle more voltage seems to have compromised the sound quality. This tube doesnt have the treble extension or detail of the older 7N7s. Moreover, the bass is much more present in this tube. In some amps this tube sounds very good .... certainly better than any of the new production 6SN7s. But, this 7N7 version is not as universally good across the board as the older versions.

Lastly, the is another locktal tube you can use with this adapter called the 7AF7. This tube is listed as another 6SN7GT sub. The 7AF7 is once again a Sylvania made short bottle tube .... but this version has round plates. I find this tube very good sounding but not quite as good as the tall bottle 7N7. This tube is easy to find and generally runs around $10 each. The 7AF7 is a good choice if you cant find the tall bottle 7N7.

One final note .... notice the rust on the tubes metal base in the pic. The base and tube pins on these metal base tubes tend to corrode. So, you will often have to clean the tube pins or you will get noise from having a poor contact surface. A wire brush and some deoxit is what I use. Once cleaned these tubes are very quiet .... and these are tough tubes that last a long time. Dont worry about rust on the base itself unless you just want to improve the tubes appearance.

Here is the tall bottle 7N7 up close ....

HPIM0283.jpg

Here is the 7N7 tall bottle in a PPX3 SLAM .... the center amp in the pic.

IMG_0533.jpg

Apr 3, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #21 of 25
Apr 24, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #22 of 25
Maybe a dumb question, but here goes,,my PPX3 uses the 6CG7 tubes,,will I harm anything if I purchase adapters to use the 6SN7 in their place? Thanks in advance. I see some on e-pay,,as I cannot ever hook up with the SP folks.

Apr 24, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #23 of 25
Using that ebay adapter will work fine. I would just say with the price of good nos 6sn7s being so high trying a 6gu7 first might be a good idea. Trying the 6gu7 is a cheap experiment that could give you most or all of what you want sound quality wise.

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #24 of 25
Regardless of which tubes or tube/adaptor combination one uses, all tubes must be the same model number right?

Apr 24, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regardless of which tubes or tube/adaptor combination one uses, all tubes must be the same model number right?

Nope .... you can mix and match them. But you will want to use the same tube for the output pairs. For example, 6gu7 > 6cg7 x 2 .... or 6sn7 + adapter > 6cg7 x 2. In a standard PPX3 you can use the 6cg7 and 6gu7 interchangeably with no adapter needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back