6AS7 with loose base
Jan 28, 2010 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ygm

100+ Head-Fier
"scored" a Tung-Sol 6AS7 with a loose base (rotates about 1/16 of an inch) Gettering is still silver - is this a DEAD tube?

Also is it possible to have an RCA rebranded as Tung-Sol? Its labeled Tung-Sol but it sure looks like an RCA.

Jan 28, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #2 of 12
there's no way to tell if it is dead just by those descriptions alone. clearly the tube still has vacuum.

i've had many good to excellent tubes that had slightly loose bases

Jan 28, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 12
You should try to get a tube tester IMHO. Emission Labs makes tube base gule, but their dealer don't carry them. Anyone has better idea how to gule tube base?

Jan 28, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 12
I think there are epoxies that are guaranteed to *not* be conductive. IIRC (please check datasheets
smily_headphones1.gif
) some of the devcon glues are rated for good dielectric strength and quite affordable.

JB weld which is awesome is *NOT* rated for dielectric strength, and is in fact a great conductor. dont use JB weld to glue tube bases back on.

Jan 28, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone has better idea how to gule tube base?

That's a great question! Has anyone ever done this?

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have seen people using crazy glue, but never seen a clean job using that.

Is crazy glue thermally and electrically suitable for this job?

I'm guessing that several drops around the perimeter of the top edge of the base to secure it to the glass will do?

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #9 of 12
Crazy glue "works" - but it is very difficult to do well/cleanly.

If the tube testes OK, I don't worry about the loose base. Better to have the base loose than mess with glue, IMO.

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Crazy glue "works" - but it is very difficult to do well/cleanly.

If the tube testes OK, I don't worry about the loose base. Better to have the base loose than mess with glue, IMO.

Thanks! Sorry about all the questions - but I've gotta ask while I have your attention.
bigsmile_face.gif

What about cracks in the base? Is it better to repair them and can it be done with crazy glue?

Is it possible for Tung-Sols be rebranded RCA 6AS7G ?

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #11 of 12
I would not user a tube with a cracked base.

Tung-Sol actually made 6AS7G's, so it's very highly unlikely that they would be rebranded RCA's.

Jan 28, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #12 of 12
Loose and cracked base ..best bin/return it- dosn't sound like a keeper!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back