6922 sub for WA2
Jan 30, 2009 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Gvvt

Head-Fier
There's a discussion over on Tube Asylum about a couple of Russian 6922 equivalents - the 6N1P and the 6N23P. The 1P is extraordinarily cheap, and many folks speak very highly of it. It is not as directly compatible as the 23P, but I wrote to Jack and he says the 1P is a direct replacement for the 6922 / 6DJ8 in the WA2.

The one caveat is to make sure to get the "EV" version of whichever tube you want.

In Cyrillic, it's 6H1[P] - EB. (IIRC, the Russian P looks like an H with the crossbar at the top instead of in the middle...)

I've seen them for around $2.00 on Russian tube sites, which are a bit of an adventure, but I've had good luck so far.

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 37
I suppose I have a different approach to tube rolling, especially in something like the WA2. I would not risk possible substitutes or other unknown tubes in such an expensive amp. I'd rather save up and put in the cash for 1-2 pairs of really good, well known, tried-and-tested tubes.

Though, I do understand the enticement associated with finding gems in cheap-as-chips tubes
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #3 of 37
Neat. Thanks for the heads up. I take the view that if Jack says its ok, then who am I to disagree. I am trying to stock up on some tubes to play with once the amp arrives, so I may pick up a set given how cheap they are.

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 37
The 6H1П(-ИВ/Е/ЕВ) are not something you should focus on. Try them - sure, if they come by, I wouldn't be specifically ordering them though, especially for such nice gear as WA2. I'm with Xenithon on this one. If you want cheap tubes to roll, pick 6Н23П(-ЕВ/ЕВ black mark) Reflectors or the cheap ECC88 equivalents.

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 37
From a quick scan of ebay, it doesn't seem like the the 6Н23Пs are that much more expensive (under $4 each).

Jan 31, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #8 of 37
I don't like the 6N1P, I don't care what anyone says. Stick with NOS 6DJ8's. I like the Sylvania's for the best bang for the buck.

Feb 1, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #9 of 37
Interesting thought Rob. For the record the 6N1P is not a true replacement to the 6922 this because it draws twice the filament current and will fry your power source unless it was designed to deliver the added current.

I have used them on a Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 w/ a Little Pinkie PSU (2.5 amps versus the 500 mA of the stock wall-wart). My X-Can V2 has had the power supply tweaked to allow more current to be delivered. Even so my X-Can V2 runs much warmer than w/ 6922 or 6H23-EB tubes.

But IMO the 6NP1 sounds pretty darn good an it has lots of punch and impact on the X-Can V2.

Feb 1, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From a quick scan of ebay, it doesn't seem like the the 6Н23Пs are that much more expensive (under $4 each).

Yeah - I was surprised at the prices for the 6N23P-EV on eBay. In the Russian internet shops, they tend to run near $20 each.

I'm not advocating the use of either, just pointing out a possibility. I'm going to try them simply as an educational exercise. And there do seem to be some fans on Tube Asylum.

Feb 1, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the record the 6N1P is not a true replacement to the 6922 this because it draws twice the filament current and will fry your power source unless it was designed to deliver the added current.

Indeed, a very important point! You can use a 6DJ8 in a circuit designed for the 6N1P, but you cannot necessarily use the 6N1P in a circuit designed for the 6DJ8 - could indeed cause major problems and isn't safe. Thanks Miguel for bringing that up!

Feb 1, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #12 of 37
The tube complement does not look very different from the woo3 series, which I've had.

For clinical sounding setup, look for Siemens 7308. Very clean and almost SS sounding. But a bit expensive

For a more mellow presentation and lots of good midrange bloom, the Amperex bugle boy 6DJ8. more reasonably priced

I chose the BB with mine a while back

Feb 2, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #13 of 37
I rechecked with Jack, citing mrarroyo's comment about filament current. Jack says the WA2 can handle it. If it sounds awful, it's a $4 learning experience but maybe it packs a heck of a wallop. And as someone pointed out at Tube Asylum, if you get the military-approved version, you can keep listening even under direct artillery attack or G-forces that would turn you to jelly.

I forgot to ask about the ECC85 and 6BZ7. I've been pestering Jack a lot recently about tubes... What an incredibly nice person.

Feb 2, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gvvt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I rechecked with Jack, citing mrarroyo's comment about filament current. Jack says the WA2 can handle it. If it sounds awful, it's a $4 learning experience but maybe it packs a heck of a wallop. And as someone pointed out at Tube Asylum, if you get the military-approved version, you can keep listening even under direct artillery attack or G-forces that would turn you to jelly.

I forgot to ask about the ECC85 and 6BZ7. I've been pestering Jack a lot recently about tubes... What an incredibly nice person.

If your amp can handle it the 6N1P are really nice tubes. I used them in my X-CAN v3 / Pinkie PSU and really liked them a lot.

Feb 3, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gvvt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The 6BZ7 was the forerunner to the 6DJ8/6922. I like this tube and the 6BZ7 is a much more rugged tube than a 6DJ8/6922. The 6BZ7 can take way more plate voltage. Plus, this tube is incredibly cheap to buy .... $2-3 per tube and sometimes less. The ECC85 is essentialy a 6AQ8 .... see data sheet.

NJ7P Tube Database Search

There are a whole list of tubes that can potentially sub for the 6DJ8/ 6922.

The list includes the 6AQ8/ 6BK7/ 6BC8/ 6BQ7/ 6ES8/ 6FW8/ 6BZ7/ 6BZ8. You can disqualify the 6ES8 as this tube has a variable mu and is very microphonic .... and the 6FW8 is simply impossible to find. Somebody is hoarding these somewhere.
biggrin.gif

Of the remaining tubes the 6AQ8, 6BK7, 6BC8, 6BQ7 and 6BZ7/ 6BZ8 are probably your best bets. The 6N1P is electrically much more like a 6CG7 than a 6DJ8; except for the mu. If you can use the 6N1P ask Jack about the 6CG7/ 6FQ7/ 6GU7/ 6EV7. The issue may be that the 6CG7/6GU7 have a lower mu of around 17-20 vs a mu of around 33 for the 6922 and wont have enough gain. The 6EV7 is a high gain tube but possibly to high with a mu of 60.

Of all these tubes .... I like the 6CG7/6GU7 best by far. I use these tubes for gain in several of my SP amps.

If you look at the data sheets below under the preferred substitue or substitute listing and click on these subs you wil notice that all these tubes lead back to one another .... eventually even to the 6CG7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back