6922 (E88CC)-Tubes, need advice!
Apr 18, 2006 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

leonid05

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Being a Tube-noob, I need advice in 6922-Tubes.

I have a Cayin-Player with an analog tube out, in there two 6922 tubes, China-type (dunno what exactly).

They are too bass-heavy for my taste, and even worse, they tend to microphony.

Can you recommend tubes with more neutral sound, and less microphony?
Any suggestions would be very welcomed!

(Okay, it`s about a Player, but these tubes are used in amps as well, and here are the guys with knowledge about tubes, right?)

Thanks for any advice!

Apr 19, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 65
6922 type tube is expected to be more microphony than others.

CCa type of 6922 is factory selected ultra low noise and microphony tube.

Apr 19, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #6 of 65
If you're looking to go cheap the Electro Harmonix 6922 might be a good option for you, they don't have a to of warmth but they're neutral and are dead quiet. If you'd like to go NOS I'd look for German tubes like a Siemens or Telefunken, German brands tend to be more neutral than tubes made in the USA or Holland. Good luck with your search.

Apr 19, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #7 of 65
my telefunks were pretty microphonic and they would howl too - 6922. both both the Holland 7DJ8 amperex and the UK 6922 mullard A-Frames I had were dead quiet - but this might have had something to do with me using the Hal-O dampers (check my sig).

but anyhow, now i'm addicted to A-Frames, so i'd go for those. you can root around and find a nice NOS pair for under a hundred if you look long enough.

Apr 19, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
my telefunks were pretty microphonic and they would howl too - 6922. both both the Holland 7DJ8 amperex and the UK 6922 mullard A-Frames I had were dead quiet - but this might have had something to do with me using the Hal-O dampers (check my sig).

but anyhow, now i'm addicted to A-Frames, so i'd go for those. you can root around and find a nice NOS pair for under a hundred if you look long enough.

The Amperex Holland A-Frame is my favorite 6DJ8/6922 variety but I wouldn't call them neutral, especially in the midrange. If he's looking for neutrality I'm not sure the A-Frame would be a great option. As always YMMV.

Apr 19, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #9 of 65
Quote:

my telefunks were pretty microphonic

It happens to telefunken sometimes if they are not selected by tube mongers expexially for those Ecc88 type tubes.

Apr 19, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #10 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by nmculbreth
If you're looking to go cheap the Electro Harmonix 6922 might be a good option for you, they don't have a to of warmth but they're neutral and are dead quiet. If you'd like to go NOS I'd look for German tubes like a Siemens or Telefunken, German brands tend to be more neutral than tubes made in the USA or Holland. Good luck with your search.

I agree, Electro Harmonix 6922 is the most excellent sounding and quality made new stock tube in this planet
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #11 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by nmculbreth
The Amperex Holland A-Frame is my favorite 6DJ8/6922 variety but I wouldn't call them neutral, especially in the midrange. If he's looking for neutrality I'm not sure the A-Frame would be a great option. As always YMMV.

oops i missed the "neutral" part. uh, yeah the amperex are AGRESSIVE and have big bass impact. the mullards are the middle ground between the amperex and the teles - the teles have SWEET mids, but not too much extension up top or bottom, still not what i'd call neutral.

honestly, i haven't come across any neutral tubes so far hehe. they all sound a bit warm and lushy to me, but that's coming from a solid state background.

Apr 19, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #12 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu
I agree, Electro Harmonix 6922 is the most excellent sounding and quality made new stock tube in this planet
biggrin.gif

Would the EH 68922 Gold (Gold pin) sound any better than the regular EH 6922?
Just wondering if there are any differences beyond the gold plating on the pins?
Thanks.

Apr 19, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #13 of 65
Quote:

oops i missed the "neutral" part. uh, yeah the amperex are AGRESSIVE and have big bass impact. the mullards are the middle ground between the amperex and the teles - the teles have SWEET mids, but not too much extension up top or bottom, still not what i'd call neutral.

honestly, i haven't come across any neutral tubes so far hehe. they all sound a bit warm and lushy to me, but that's coming from a solid state background.

Aggressive with bass impact... that sounds like fun.

How can you ID an amperex "A Frame"?... is there something to look for inside thte tube?

thanks,
Garrett

Apr 19, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #14 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbln
Would the EH 68922 Gold (Gold pin) sound any better than the regular EH 6922?
Just wondering if there are any differences beyond the gold plating on the pins?
Thanks.

I havn't tried any regular rhodium pins EH 6922. I was once told that they are essentially Sovtek made 6922. Not sure whether it is true. I have owned some gold pins EH 6922 and Sovtek 6922 at the same time.They sound very different totally. I prefer EH A LOT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back