May 20, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #2 of 4
RE-400 is fantastic, although perhaps not entirely neutral, with a somewhat warm, intimate character - the bass and mids are a bit more present and lively than the highs. I am pretty sure that the Future Sonics are too bass heavy for monitoring. I haven't heard the others on your list. For under $200, I recommend Etymotic HF series as probably the best combination of a neutral, accurate sound and good ergonomics that I have experienced in IEMs so far. They are small and fairly easy to wear both straight down and over the ear. The fit is comfortable and secure with the right tips (I recommend Shure black "olives") and the isolation is great. The sound is close to neutral, with somewhat reduced treble response compared to perfectly flat, although overall, the sound is still more neutral and more controlled than pretty much any other IEM I've heard in the price range. Ideally, you may want an Etymotic ER4S for the ultimate in accuracy, but the ergonomics on them leave much to be desired, unless you pay a good bit extra for an aftermarket cable. Also, it depends on your personal preferences and biases too. For instance, I think that many people consider Etymotic sound to be too thin, dry and light on the bass to be considered neutral. If you happen to be one of those, then I think RE-400 may suit you much better. Technically, RE-400 is a little north of neutral I think, but not by much and the extra bass oomph and a fuller sound will definitely appeal to a much wider audience than the strict accuracy of Etymotics.

May 20, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Thanks for the words.  Also which Etymotic HF?

All of the HF series sound the same. The differences are that the HF2 and HF3 have mics and HF5 doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back