650 Burn-In...I Believe!
Oct 23, 2008 at 5:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

AudioDwebe

Headphoneus Supremus
Bought the HD650's a while back (the non-white version) and they sounded pretty good to me right off the bat. At the time I think I was listening to them through the MPX3. They sounded so good, in fact, that I didn't think they needed to be burned in at all.

Fast-foward some time, and I've listened to them on and off for a while (mostly off) through various amps and for some reason, they seemed to sound "awefully" dark and muddled. So dark and muddy, in fact, that I wondered how I thought these cans sounded so good before.

Did a search about a week or so ago about the HD650 and burn-in, and the description of the dark and muddy I read about was pretty much what I was hearing. So I decided to burn them in at a pretty loud volume, using some bass-heavy music for the last seven to ten days.

Took them off the cooker tonight and I was pretty amazed at how much more clear the sound became. The muddiness seems to have disappeared and what previously sounded very, very dark now sounds oh, so relaxed and smooth. Smooth, I tell ya. Very nice.

I was determined to sell these a few weeks ago, but now I don't think so. Yep, they're keepers.

Oct 24, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 14
I experienced the same thing. At the first week of them , they sounded very pleasant but then 3 weeks later they sounded dull and very muddy, but then again a week later they improved a lot! even better than the first week. This may be a placebo effect I dont know but I really like how they sound right now.
650 Burn-in...I believe , too!.

btw I have the new version.

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 14
I replied in depth to this before the Great Erasure the other day, and just don't have it in me to do it again...BUT...yes, the HD650 takes a looooooong time to break in, and changes a lot back and forth before they settle down...Eventually they are awesome.

Oct 24, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 14
Although I can not understand how a headphone can change back and forth during break-in, I agree that sometimes I felt they sounded dull and unengaging, and other times they sounded awesome. Must have something to do with my ears, I do not know. Anyway, now, with good amplification, they are fenomenal everytime.

Oct 24, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #5 of 14
Yup, I agree...I couldn't understand why someties they sounded great, and other times they didn't. It had to be more than just ear wax, lol...

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #6 of 14
FWIW -- Ultrsones have a dramatic burn-in, too -- from "okay", to "aaaahhhhh! -- what happened?" then finally, to "sound great, now!"

I find it amazing that so many Head-Fi'ers don't believe in burn-in, or believe that others have actually expereinced it, calling it, variously, "placebo effect", or "imagination", or other such nonsense.
confused_face_2.gif
confused.gif
confused_face.gif

But, one day, I bet they, too will "see the light"!
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #7 of 14
burn-in do exist in headphones. Period.

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #8 of 14
When I first got the 750's I very much disliked their soundsignature. Too bright and harsh. Dunno if it was brain burn-in or headphone burn-in but after a month of using, and ever since, I've liked them very much. So when I get my next pair of headphones (dx1000 probably), even if I hate them first I'll be sure to use them atleast a month. Again no idea if it was my brain or the actual headphones, but something happened that's for sure.

Edit: I didnt really notice this effect on my ad900's. Both headphones were bought brand new.

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
burn-in do exist in headphones. Period.

No doubt about it... Especially evident with my RS-1's.

Oct 26, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But, one day, I bet they, too will "see the light"!
eek.gif
tongue.gif

I'm sure they will with all that burning.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #14 of 14
ditto...after about 250-300 hours they calmed down for me...BUT i have a little pre-listen ritual every time i want to plug in---i give them about 1/2 hour of pink noise at moderate-high volume and then do my listening at it seems to help the session immeasurably

Users who are viewing this thread

Back