64 Audio Shootout - Nio. Trio. Fourte. Noir
Jan 31, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #31 of 87
...your perspective on the fourte’s treble is extremely unusual. It’s awesome it works well for you, however it should be noted that it is quite common for those who are sensitive to treble, to have at least some issue with the fourte’s treble. of course, always listen if you can, because your case shows it's possible to be treble-sensitive but still adore the fourte treble.

edit: fwiw - i love the fourte and think it's 64s most enjoyable sound sig i've heard. the treble def does get a bit hot to my ears at times...that said, i absolutely agree that it sounds magnificent if it doesn't rub you the wrong way.

I have the OG with me to try out and compare to the Noir. It is for sure a leaner sound; the separation and staging is stellar. I can understand it being bestowed the crown of king of technicalities. Great layering, highlighting the most intricate detail and rendering minutiae in the music clearly. The way I describe it / compare to Noir is that it is similar levels of detail extracted but they are more present at the widths of the stage; and at the same time - given the leanness of the midbass - it makes them clearer still.

For me personally, it is as if that surgical separation draws quite a lot of attention to itself. I tend to get sucked out of listening to the music as a whole and more to the individual flecks of detail (as impressive as they are), and that is one reason I find more cohesive musicality in the Noir.

Interestingly, whilst I am also treble sensitive, I do not find the OG exceedingly bright. The treble is crystalline, and I rarely find it pushing the boundary other than on inherently forward / brightly mastered tracks. However, there is a “thinness” to vocals, especially female vocal. It is not a glassiness like Trio, but rather a “hollowness”. So it is not sibilant to me, but I do find that my brain interprets vocals as having less “soul”…and maybe that is why I do not connect as much. But as mentioned, that aside, it's an incredible microscope into the music and all its atomic components, with almost unrivalled technicalities.

Jan 31, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #33 of 87
I have the OG with me to try out and compare to the Noir. It is for sure a leaner sound; the separation and staging is stellar. I can understand it being bestowed the crown of king of technicalities. Great layering, highlighting the most intricate detail and rendering minutiae in the music clearly. The way I describe it / compare to Noir is that it is similar levels of detail extracted but they are more present at the widths of the stage; and at the same time - given the leanness of the midbass - it makes them clearer still.

For me personally, it is as if that surgical separation draws quite a lot of attention to itself. I tend to get sucked out of listening to the music as a whole and more to the individual flecks of detail (as impressive as they are), and that is one reason I find more cohesive musicality in the Noir.

Interestingly, whilst I am also treble sensitive, I do not find the OG exceedingly bright. The treble is crystalline, and I rarely find it pushing the boundary other than on inherently forward / brightly mastered tracks. However, there is a “thinness” to vocals, especially female vocal. It is not a glassiness like Trio, but rather a “hollowness”. So it is not sibilant to me, but I do find that my brain interprets vocals as having less “soul”…and maybe that is why I do not connect as much. But as mentioned, that aside, it's an incredible microscope into the music and all its atomic components, with almost unrivalled technicalities.

I had the og for a year I think. And I know that they exhibit less of a hiss issue or those tssss and tshhhh in music when you play true quality recordings that are properly reccorded and are not electric genres. Things like audiophile grade methods and then it sounds superb and clean.

Fourte og is very picky, its really best suited for audiophile music only as it will show a lot odd musical artifacts.

I suspect is the reason why fourte works for you that good cause you don't play it with junkie music 🙂

The original fourte is very different to the new Noirs, I know they fixed the incoherency that rarely happened it felt like rarely some notes sounded like it was muted or very fainted. It is an odd glitch for an expensive iem to do that. That effect had a different advantage in music presentation the way echoes and timbres where perceived it had more physical sense and presence.

Og is also very natural and life like sound. Vocals are to cry good so emotional and real.

Bass is something I loved alot in og it was my favorite for edm. But I gave up on fourté at the end cause of the treble.

The noirs has the same hardware with internal wiring and solder tweaks.
The noirs no longer has the treble elevation problem like og, coherent, thicker sound or more meat like folks call it, yeap the bass got bigger too. I think they should of kept og bass and put noir treble.

To wrap up my thoughts on og vs noir, I think they are 2 very complementary iems as 1 sound more party time with full best in class hardware and more forgiving approach and the og a more serious more reference a more realistic sound meant to play music in a more natural way.

I personally love the noirs more as they play my edm superbly and it used to be trio for me before, but trio didn't bring the mids do well as noirs does.

Those are my thoughts on the fourté line

Jan 31, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #34 of 87
I think they are 2 very complementary iems

Agree with this sentiment. Before I heard them, going only on impressions and reviews, I thought they’d be far more similar. Still have much testing to do but gut tells me these two would be a sublime pairing without excessive overlap.

Jan 31, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #35 of 87

I think this will apply to most of my comments about Fourte but it's very track dependent. Some tracks are recorded with so many minutae details that most fuller sounding or less resolving IEMs gloss over, that when you hear them for the first time it's the "wow" moment so many people who talk about when they hear the OG for the first time. But I also find that over time, and especially when I just kick back and stop comparing/focusing on every facet of the sound, the music becomes much more cohesive. It's a matter of brain burn-in and acclimatisation - more so with the detail overload than the treble. The sheer detail also makes the OG a very easy listen at lower volume, as long as you're not listening to anything that needs volume to get the bass kicking.

However, there is a “thinness” to vocals, especially female vocal. It is not a glassiness like Trio, but rather a “hollowness”. So it is not sibilant to me, but I do find that my brain interprets vocals as having less “soul”…and maybe that is why I do not connect as much.

I also found this to be the case with some tracks, which goes to my conclusion that the OG is only at its best most of the time, not all of the time. That said, I find that pairing it with a warmer cable or source, particularly wirh music with airy or thinner vocals, can really help inject some weight into the notes, as does a smidge of EQ. As is the case with most great IEMs, you don't need to EQ out issues, but rather fill in some gaps where the balance isn't quite spot on.

Og is also very natural and life like sound. Vocals are to cry good so emotional and real.

When it gets it right, which it usually does, it's quite sublime. Then again so is Noir, but in a very different and complementary way. Not sure if I'd keep the Noir just for the rare occasion the OG misfires, but I can also see how some people have this preference in reverse. Can't go wrong with either.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #36 of 87
Something not many people know but have you felt that the fourtes has an exceptional way to amplify echoes. If you listen in some recordings if there is small amount of echoe fourte will make it 20% more. It is the unique ability of fourte, thanks to its special tia air chambers.

Also the tia drivers has exceptional speaker like sound, in conjunction with apex and tubeless design you get a very open roomier and naturally expansive sound.

I tried nio and u12t and I feel the difference... Specialy u12t it has drivers they go threw a tube! Only Trio and fourte is true all tubeless.

Nio felt half half open in that regard.
Nio is probably the most affordable variant of the noirs. I heard them both side by side and no way I would replace my noir with nio lol.
Similar sound different possibilities and territories of performance.

For me there is no iem that I know of out do the noirs or og just because of tubeless, apex, air chambers and tia drivers are as good as estats.

It really gonna take something very revolutionary to surpass the fourte, it is not for nothing Jude the creator of headfi placed the noirs as the best iems in hes list.

@gLer
@xenithon

Jan 31, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #37 of 87
Also the tia drivers has exceptional speaker like sound
That right there is the Fourte's superpower. It sounds big, like bigger-than-headphone big. I know it's just a sensory illusion but it's a very convincing illusion. I owned the HD800 for couple of years before I got Fourte, and that same big, open sound was the HD800's specialty. It's difficult to compare IEMs to headphones 1:1 because they're physically different, but the Fourte gives me that same sense of size the HD800 did, while out-resolving and out-imaging it. That's no mean feat, considering detail and imaging are the HD800's trademarks.

Jan 31, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #38 of 87
That right there is the Fourte's superpower. It sounds big, like bigger-than-headphone big. I know it's just a sensory illusion but it's a very convincing illusion. I owned the HD800 for couple of years before I got Fourte, and that same big, open sound was the HD800's specialty. It's difficult to compare IEMs to headphones 1:1 because they're physically different, but the Fourte gives me that same sense of size the HD800 did, while out-resolving and out-imaging it. That's no mean feat, considering detail and imaging are the HD800's trademarks.

I came from hdv820, hd800s, to fourte hehe. Hd800s has 0 bass in comparison to fourte.
But hd800s does a truly amazing life like sound cause so many times I turned my head and was definitely sure that I heard it in my room lol

Jan 31, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #39 of 87

Really nice description here. :thumbsup:

I agree about this “surgical” spreading apart of sounds on the fourte, and I think it’s possible to perceive this quality as detrimental to its sound signature. That said, I still think the fourte is extremely special and an undeniably unique piece in the iem world for its technical and sonic capabilities...as well as its oddities.

I have described this exact characteristic of the fourte as “pulling the music apart at the seams a bit too much.”

Really, the fourte is all about exaggeration, and that’s what is so endearing about it in my opinion. It’s a crazy tuning that is anything but natural or realistic. Indeed, while the A series was designed with stage performances and mixing accuracy in mind, vitaliy himself stated that the fourte is more of a “romantic” interpretation of sound.

it is indeed.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #40 of 87
That said, I still think the fourte is extremely special and an undeniably unique piece in the iem world for its technical and sonic capabilities...as well as its oddities.
I agree, its uniqueness is what makes it special for me. It may not always win the race or be the most appealing to some people who like their music to sound more conventional, but in the flagship world it's a unicorn among the thoroughbreds. I like 🦄 😊

Feb 2, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #41 of 87
Best Review Ever. Full Stop.
So much effort paid and so details in every aspect.
Make me kinda wanna get the tia Fourte but seems 64 audio have a new one coming out soon. Maybe I shall wait?

Feb 2, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #42 of 87
Make me kinda wanna get the tia Fourte but seems 64 audio have a new one coming out soon. Maybe I shall wait?
Thank you kindly. My personal view: the Fourte is unique. If it suits your preferences - and it's not for everyone, BUT if it suits your preferences - I'm not sure how much they can do to improve on its specific signature and presentation. There will always be different IEMs that do different things well, but I reckon Fourte is one of those IEMs that won't be replaced 1:1. It might be superceded as a flagship, and 64 might get into using new technologies or drivers, but an IEM that's still at or near the top of the tree after 5 years has already proven its longevity. As always, demo first, and YMMV.

Feb 2, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #43 of 87
Yes he put a lot of effort and did an awesome review!

I owned the Fourte too and I echo what gLer said. There will always be new IEMs but the Fourte is one of the best IEMs which I will keep for a long time. I use Chord Hugo2 which many consider a very revealing and hi performance dac/amp, as well as the Fourte in a similar way. You may think the two together is too much but it is not. Sure, it is not very warm type of sound but is very enjoyable and I like it. I find the Fourte is very capable high performance in sound/musical reproduction. I don’t know why some said Fourte sounds not like normal iem or kind of lack emotions but I got goose bumps listening to this combo haha. Perhaps it is indeed unique and special haha. Anyway, I do agree it is better to try it yourself first as not everyone’s taste is the same. For me Fourte is a fine top of the line iem. I will still look forward to new tech and new iems whether 64 or other brands, but I will never let go my Fourte haha.

Having said this, perhaps you should wait a while and see what 64 is coming out with the new products. Take your time and all the best.

Feb 8, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #45 of 87
Maybe I missed, and I apologize in advance if I did, but what cable did you use to test the IEM’s?

It was in one of his spoilers :wink:

Source: HiBy R8 DAP (low gain, Turbo on).
Cable: PW Audio No. 10 8-wire 4.4mm.
Tips: JVC Spiral Dot.
Source files: lossless FLAC and DSD, local files only (no streaming).
Apex modules: Nio was tested using the default M15 and mX modules only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back