634EARS: Impressions, Discussions, and Appreciations Thread
Mar 4, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #601 of 702
anyone heard nightjar singularity and can compare to the miroak II? the way people talk about them reminds me of Singularity... which is very high on my wishlist.

Mar 4, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #602 of 702
I haven't gotten to get much time with these yet since they came in but my early impressions are positive. As a comparison, they're more mellow than the TS-316, but not in a bad way. More prominent bass and slightly less treble. Much lighter weight for sure. In my opinion the stock 3.5mm cable is great. The ear hooks might be a little flimsy for some because of the lack of any wire or guide, but the ergonomics are great in that you barely notice it's there. I could see why people might think it's a little short, but it's not terrible by any means.

I'm not sure what the stock tips are, but they seem decent. I'm trying out both the Divinus Velvet and (currently) Elotech Baroque due to a similar, wide bore size. I believe you need to size down or have tips with thinner material due to the nozzle size. The package came in two days and was about as well packed as you could imagine. They look amazing in person, truly unique and very much a ZMF of IEMs in that regard. We'll see how I feel as I listen to them more.

miroak-ii.png

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:41 AM Post #603 of 702
I haven't gotten to get much time with these yet since they came in but my early impressions are positive. As a comparison, they're more mellow than the TS-316, but not in a bad way. More prominent bass and slightly less treble. Much lighter weight for sure. In my opinion the stock 3.5mm cable is great. The ear hooks might be a little flimsy for some because of the lack of any wire or guide, but the ergonomics are great in that you barely notice it's there. I could see why people might think it's a little short, but it's not terrible by any means.

I'm not sure what the stock tips are, but they seem decent. I'm trying out both the Divinus Velvet and (currently) Elotech Baroque due to a similar, wide bore size. I believe you need to size down or have tips with thinner material due to the nozzle size. The package came in two days and was about as well packed as you could imagine. They look amazing in person, truly unique and very much a ZMF of IEMs in that regard. We'll see how I feel as I listen to them more.

miroak-ii.png
Glad that these are able to fit your ears. You were pretty concerned that they might not earlier.

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:53 AM Post #604 of 702
Nice review and my Miroak II Japan ed. sounds similar. What jumped out at me was your mentioning the lack of muddiness. Yeah, absolutely. When I listen to these iems it always strikes me how well controlled the sound is, from top to bottom. Listening to some high end iems I sometimes feel like I can hear the whole committee of people that had to agree on the sound... like a film with too many producers and writers that ends up with muddied dialogue and a plot that doesnt quite fit together. But with the Miroak everything is so clear and obviously intentional... and well balanced for sure. Its somehow a bass monster, has really crisp, nice, never approaching sibilant treble, and also clear mids. With just the single DD.
I think your Miroak II Japan Ltd edition is tuned more towards the Loak2 tuning compared to the regular Miroak IIs, so yours might be a bit different.

Mar 5, 2024 at 1:05 AM Post #605 of 702
anyone heard nightjar singularity and can compare to the miroak II? the way people talk about them reminds me of Singularity... which is very high on my wishlist.
maybe you can ask @Ace Bee for the comparison.

I'll just be diplomatic and say that my group of friends that have who have mostly the Loaks are not that taken with the Singularity.

I think the Timsuk TS-316 sounds better to the Singularity as well.

Mar 5, 2024 at 4:38 AM Post #606 of 702
Singularity is significantly different than the Miroak-II. I wrote about it in a post on the watercooler, will copy/paste it here:

Pros
  • Very pleasing subbass with controlled midbass that does not overpower the mids
  • Well-separated midrange with smooth notes
  • Smooth and extended treble
  • The midrange notes are wonderfully natural and organic, with a very pleasant body. Note definition is top-notch.
  • Wide and deep stage
  • Overall a very refined presentation; can even be called romantic
Con
  • The upper midrange is somewhat pulled back and lacks the energy I normally look for.
  • Overall midrange feels very slightly veiled to my ears, perhaps pairing with a more powerful and dynamic source will clean that up.
  • While the notes are very well-defined, they do not exactly sound tangible, neither do they have class-leading resolution
  • Treble has less energy for my preference, the extension saves it from being muted.
1000072554-01.jpeg

Comparison with 634EARS LOAK-2(CL) (89800 JPY or around 600 USD)
  • LOAK-2(CL) has a more dynamic and more energetic sound in comparison.
  • The upper midrange and treble of LOAK-2(CL) are more forward, so the overall presentation is more clear.
  • The midbass of LOAK-2CL is stronger, perhaps slightly boomier in comparison.
  • The midrange notes of LOAK-2CL have a slightly thinner body and the edges are rougher compared to the Singularity's well-bodied smooth notes.
  • Resolution seems comparable between both, perhaps LOAk-2(CL) gets a slight upper hand due to the brilliant treble.
  • The Singularity has slightly better separation.
  • The LOAK-2CL has a similarly wide soundstage, but the depth is slightly more on the Singularity.
  • The LOAK-2CL has a more vibrant and slightly raw presentation compared to the Singularity's more laid-back and refined one.
1000072551-01.jpeg

graph.png

graph (1).png

Since I have sold my Miroak-II, cannot do an A/B comparison, but from memory, Singularity has slightly larger notes but smoother edges, whereas Miroak-II notes were slightly smaller but slightly sharper-edged. Singulariy has a very wide and deep stage, and subbass is noticeably more present. I liked the Miroak-II but did not really liked the Singularity.

Currently I am using the Technics EAH-TZ700. It is kind of like the Singularity but with more upper mids presence and more distinct treble.

Edit: What I do not understand is that people are not going after the LOAK-2(CL). It is a terrific iem for the price!

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #609 of 702
olddap.jpg

Since yesterday I've been having fun using the old ESS DACs (unlistenable for me today) with the Miroak IIs and the results are truly amazing. The more punchy and sparkling they are in the highs, the better they adapt to the Miroak II... it was exactly what I was looking for in the 634EARS iem. Listening to the old Onkyo DP-X1, R3 PRO Saber or the Shanling M0 again without the treble piercing your eardrums is truly a beautiful rediscovery. Even the old ESS dac of the LG V series sounds splendid with the Miroak II and thanks to their simplicity of driving they make everything very easy. Truly an excellent IEM... if you know how to make the most of it... take your old DACs out of the drawers... the time has come to listen to them again thanks to the Miroak II. :wink:

Mar 5, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #610 of 702
May I ask which cable is it? Looks great!
It’s a bespoke copper cable made by a friend of mine. His brand, Clan Audio, is not active yet.

Mar 5, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #612 of 702
Mar 5, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #613 of 702
I'll just be diplomatic and say that my group of friends that have who have mostly the Loaks are not that taken with the Singularity.
I have a loak copper, and I am quite taken with the singularity. Then again, I really like the loak too, except the fit is really bad for me.
Edit: What I do not understand is that people are not going after the LOAK-2(CL). It is a terrific iem for the price!
I would guess at least some of that has to do with the loak only being available to order directly from Japan and that they don't seem to be marketing directly towards the head fi crowd. Specifically no presence at can jam or anything similar.

Mar 5, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #614 of 702
I have a loak copper, and I am quite taken with the singularity. Then again, I really like the loak too, except the fit is really bad for me.

I would guess at least some of that has to do with the loak only being available to order directly from Japan and that they don't seem to be marketing directly towards the head fi crowd. Specifically no presence at can jam or anything similar.

The ordering process wasn't too difficult and communication via email was easy enough, although there's always room for small improvements. It'd be great for people to have a better way to demo them, but I don't know if that'll ever happen. Any significant increase in orders would also extend the wait times as well unless the operation scales up.

I didn't order the LOAK-2 since it was another $250-300 and I was pretty sure that the fit wouldn't be good for me. My impression based on previous posts and graphs is that it isn't extremely dissimilar from the MIROAK-II. I've been interested in trying the Singularity, but for the price I see a real mix of opinions on it. None saying that it's bad, but that other IEMs like the TS-316 which are less than half the cost are just as good if not better in some ways.

Mar 5, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #615 of 702
Singularity is significantly different than the Miroak-II. I wrote about it in a post on the watercooler, will copy/paste it here:

Pros
  • Very pleasing subbass with controlled midbass that does not overpower the mids
  • Well-separated midrange with smooth notes
  • Smooth and extended treble
  • The midrange notes are wonderfully natural and organic, with a very pleasant body. Note definition is top-notch.
  • Wide and deep stage
  • Overall a very refined presentation; can even be called romantic
Con
  • The upper midrange is somewhat pulled back and lacks the energy I normally look for.
  • Overall midrange feels very slightly veiled to my ears, perhaps pairing with a more powerful and dynamic source will clean that up.
  • While the notes are very well-defined, they do not exactly sound tangible, neither do they have class-leading resolution
  • Treble has less energy for my preference, the extension saves it from being muted.
1000072554-01.jpeg

Comparison with 634EARS LOAK-2(CL) (89800 JPY or around 600 USD)
  • LOAK-2(CL) has a more dynamic and more energetic sound in comparison.
  • The upper midrange and treble of LOAK-2(CL) are more forward, so the overall presentation is more clear.
  • The midbass of LOAK-2CL is stronger, perhaps slightly boomier in comparison.
  • The midrange notes of LOAK-2CL have a slightly thinner body and the edges are rougher compared to the Singularity's well-bodied smooth notes.
  • Resolution seems comparable between both, perhaps LOAk-2(CL) gets a slight upper hand due to the brilliant treble.
  • The Singularity has slightly better separation.
  • The LOAK-2CL has a similarly wide soundstage, but the depth is slightly more on the Singularity.
  • The LOAK-2CL has a more vibrant and slightly raw presentation compared to the Singularity's more laid-back and refined one.
1000072551-01.jpeg

graph.png

graph (1).png

Since I have sold my Miroak-II, cannot do an A/B comparison, but from memory, Singularity has slightly larger notes but smoother edges, whereas Miroak-II notes were slightly smaller but slightly sharper-edged. Singulariy has a very wide and deep stage, and subbass is noticeably more present. I liked the Miroak-II but did not really liked the Singularity.

Currently I am using the Technics EAH-TZ700. It is kind of like the Singularity but with more upper mids presence and more distinct treble.

Really nice comparison, I appreciate the write up. Quite interested in this…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back