Sep 5, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 11
I bought it last night and I'm really enjoying the album. I've listened to it about 6 times so far, so I'm starting to get a good feel for the album and I really like it. I don't think it has any single tracks that are as good as something like Fireworks or Banshee Beat, but it's an extremely consistent album. Of the 11 tracks, there are only two that I'm not a fan of (Moonjock and Pulleys). The rest are quite good.

This album is far and away the band's most sonically dense album to date and it's also their best mastered, by far. Given just how insanely layered and rich with different sounds the album is, it would be easy for the sounds to all mush together in one big mess but the excellent production values and mastering actually managed to keep all the sounds separate and distinct, despite all the layers. This is the type of album that really demand high fidelity audio equipment.

For me, the standout tracks on the album are:

Rosie Oh
Applesauce
New Town Burnout
Monkey Riches
Amanita (especially the last 2 minutes)

Overall, it's still too early to tell how I'd rank this against AC's three best albums (Feels, Strawberry Jam, MPP), but it's definitely beats all their other records. It's at least AC's 4th best album, in my opinion, and may ascend higher in the future.

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Because Heyyoudvd really liked it, if you're still on the fence because certain review sites gave it a 7.4 please consider listening to it after reading this thread dedicated to it.

I'm only joking with you. I'll probably listen to it tonight. I don't pay much attention to review sites.

Sep 8, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #9 of 11
Alright! This was definitely one of the more strange and interesting albums I've listened to this year.

I'm not a huge fan of Animal Collective, but this was definitely enjoyable. I really liked how densely layered it is. Also, I agree with heyyoudvd about the mastering. Very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back