best audio setup for console gaming?
Jun 20, 2012 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mac336

500+ Head-Fier
Wondering what your opinions were on the best route to go for an audio system for my ps3 for gaming and movies.   I was thinking maybe hook up a DAC and some studio monitors or stereo speakers; or do you think I should consider 5.1 or 7.1 setup

Jun 20, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 17
If money is no object, get a Smyth Realiser and have a recording done at the best 7.1 theater you can find using the included earbud microphones. Then get a Stax SR-009 + BHSE or Liquid Lightning to use with the Realiser.

...Yeah, I didn't think you could actually afford all of that.

To keep costs reasonable, I'd probably get an Astro Mixamp (if chat mixing is important and you don't need DTS decoding) or a JVC/Victor SU-DH1 (if chat mixing isn't important and you need DTS decoding; make sure you get the Victor-branded one if you don't want to keep replacing AA batteries), a good headphone (check the Mad Lust Envy thread to get an idea of what to get), and a ModMic.

If your budget permits, try stepping up to a Stax Lambda system; the vintage ones are a lot more affordable than the SR-007/SR-009 setups everyone fixates on here, though you're still likely to be spending $300-500 + the cost for a speaker power amp if they come with transformer boxes.

Jun 21, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:
Wondering what your opinions were on the best route to go for an audio system for my ps3 for gaming and movies.   I was thinking maybe hook up a DAC and some studio monitors or stereo speakers; or do you think I should consider 5.1 or 7.1 setup

Did you have a budget?
An all in one theater system would work, just make sure the receiver comes with a Toslink digital optical input.
Find a 2 or 3 year old receiver w/5.1 speakers on Craigslist.
Find a new one on sale for around $250?, with zero tax and free shipping.

Jun 21, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #4 of 17
thanks for the responses.  not looking to spend too much.  keep it under 1,000 probably.  looking for best value buy

i suppose a 5.1 or  7.1 surround theatre type system as you suggested would be best.  but I dont want to get something thats crap. any suggestions?

Jun 21, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:
Thanks for the responses.  not looking to spend too much.  keep it under 1,000 probably.  looking for best value buy
I suppose a 5.1 or  7.1 surround theater type system as you suggested would be best.  but I don't want to get something that's crap. any suggestions?

Right now I like Yamaha, they come with Silent Cinema, with is Yamahas surround sound for headphones.
The Klipsch HD500 5.1 speakers are selling for $300
Try to find a used Yamaha receiver on your local Craigslist, anything up to 4 years old would do the job.

Jun 22, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:
Thanks!

got any recommendations on a DAC for a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker setup?

The receiver comes with a DAC built in.

Jun 22, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 17

Best audio set up for console gaming.

Jun 22, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #9 of 17

Best audio set up for console gaming.

The best setup for console gaming for me would be the Beyer Headzone + headphone of choice.

I've already heard it (briefly owned the Headzone), and it's stellar. Slightly better than the Mixamp in terms of virtual surround properties, but a noticeable leap in actual sound fidelity.

I'd rather take a cheap sounding virtual surround amp like the Turtle Beach DSS vs the best audio rig in history... in stereo. Virtual surround adds so much to the sound, it's not even a competition.

Realistically speaking; look for a used Harman Kardon receiver with Dolby Headphone + a great headphone like the D7000.

Jun 22, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:
The best setup for console gaming for me would be the Beyer Headzone + headphone of choice.
I've already heard it (briefly owned the Headzone), and it's stellar. Slightly better than the Mixamp in terms of virtual surround properties, but a noticeable leap in actual sound fidelity.
I'd rather take a cheap sounding virtual surround amp like the Turtle Beach DSS vs the best audio rig in history... in stereo. Virtual surround adds so much to the sound, it's not even a competition.
Realistically speaking; look for a used Harman Kardon receiver with Dolby Headphone + a great headphone like the D7000.

Hmm well the HE-500 with that set up has pretty amazing head stage and in online shooters specifically It's easy as pie to pinpoint movement around you. I have tried and used a few different surround sound headset's and the is it M80 astro mixamp? I didn't really care for it for gaming being used tot he head stage of my headphones at the time it kind of distorted where I was hearing movement. I would hear some one directly behind me and they were really more to the left and behind me, things of that nature. I'm sure a better amp would do a better job but eh.

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #11 of 17
Are you able to connect your bifrost directly to your PS3 via USB or optical?

I would use my HE-500s for gaming, but I like to turn it up when Im playing and my ears will fatigue from the volume + time duration

Just to be clear, if I pick up a receiver, 7.1 speaker setup and as long as it has some sort of surround sound interface, I will be able to hear the locations of things going on (as long as I have my speakers oriented properly in the room).

for example: if I'm playing call of duty and there's another player coming up on my back left, I will be able the hear that he's there?

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
Are you able to connect your bifrost directly to your PS3 via USB or optical?

I would use my HE-500s for gaming, but I like to turn it up when Im playing and my ears will fatigue from the volume + time duration

Just to be clear, if I pick up a receiver, 7.1 speaker setup and as long as it has some sort of surround sound interface, I will be able to hear the locations of things going on (as long as I have my speakers oriented properly in the room).

for example: if I'm playing call of duty and there's another player coming up on my back left, I will be able the hear that he's there?

Yea I have it hooked into the ps3 via optical bi-passing it's god awful DAC.

Jun 23, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #13 of 17
People can promote how good a heaphones imaging is and whatnot, but stereo is a far cry from what those very same headphones can do with virtual surround. Its such a staggering difference in positional cues, that stereo sounds like mono in comparison. No headphone I have used (including the HE-4 which should have a similar soundstage as the HE500) sounds anywhere near as good for gaming as when using a virtual surround amp like the Headzone, and Mixamp.

In any case, a receiver with a surround sound interface (like Yamaha's Silent Cinema, or Harman Kardon with Dolby Headphone) WILL give the HE500s those surround like audio cues. Typical audiophile dac/amps WON'T, and you'll be stuck with plain stereo.

This is why I'd never use such a setup for my consoles. I'd use something like the Mixamp, and hook the Lyr to that, so as to gain the benefit of virtual surround, plus the power of the Lyr. Its not the best fidelity-wise, but the benefits of virtual suround far outweigh pure audio fidelity with stereo.

That's assuming you're not going to use a receiver with virtual surround.

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #14 of 17
I want to get the HD598s and an amp or DAC to play on my Xbox One (and possibly 360 if it permits) but idk what to get. I have a really tight budget and I play a lot of shooters and RPGs. Help? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back