60s and 70s Progressive Rock Appreciation Thread
Jan 21, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #16 of 60

Quote:
Genesis with Peter Gabriel and the epic Suppers Ready are the epitomy of English prog rock.

Lord knows I love me progressive rock, but I have always found Genesis unlistenable.

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #17 of 60
WishYouWereHere-300.jpg

"Wish You Were Here" was, in my opinion, Pink Floyd's best song. What do you guys think?

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #18 of 60

1. Vincent Crane: Hammond organ, piano, backing vocals
  2. Carl Palmer: drums, percussion
  3. Nick Graham: bass guitar, vocals, flute
  1. John Du Cann: guitar and vocals on tracks overdubbed for US release

1. Vincent Crane: Hammond organ, piano, vocals on "Black Snake"
  2. John Du Cann: guitars
  3. Pete French: vocals
  4. Paul Hammond: drums, percussion

This is the cover of Atomic Rooster's second album Death Walks Behind You, by far my favorite in the set!

1. Vincent Crane: Hammond organ, piano, backing vocals
  2. John Du Cann: guitars, vocals
  3. Paul Hammond: drums, percussion

First there was The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown, but Vincent Crane and Carl Palmer eventually left in 1969 to form Atomic Rooster.
After the first album Carl Palmer went off to ELP.

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #19 of 60
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kONmNjvHu40

Here is one for ya children.

Jan 22, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #20 of 60
Wall of Rooster

I'm quite fond of Death walks behind you. Great track.

Every good boy deserves favour is another good album by the Moody Blues.

While others are quoting obscure prog, let me join in:

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnVJXoEGH1g[/VIDEO]

Also, lets not forget the obligatory Comus song:

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9rN6YF5J_o[/VIDEO]

Jan 22, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #21 of 60
Jan 22, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #22 of 60

Quote:
WishYouWereHere-300.jpg

"Wish You Were Here" was, in my opinion, Pink Floyd's best song. What do you guys think?

imo, this is not a 'song'.  it is an album.  much like 'dark side of the moon', 'animals' and 'the wall' it is a single piece that should never be decomposed into simple 'songs'.

again, imo only, of course 
smile.gif

Jan 22, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #23 of 60

Quote:
imo, this is not a 'song'.  it is an album.  much like 'dark side of the moon', 'animals' and 'the wall' it is a single piece that should never be decomposed into simple 'songs'.

It is a good song (and a good album) but song for song with Pink Floyd, I think my favorite is probably Fat Old Sun off of Atom Heart Mother.

I'll have to check out Atomic Rooster, my collection of prog has been fairly static lately :frowning2:

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #24 of 60
Not the song the whole album.

I don't know what you mean. I said the song specifically because I've had the album in the back of my wardrobe for ages. Didn't click with anything but the title song.

Despite being a little more towards heavy metal, Uriah Heep's Demons and Wizards deserves a mention:

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOBOn-tSEx0[/VIDEO]

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #25 of 60
WishYouWereHere-300.jpg

I completely agree. Some albums are like symphonies; their whole is greater than the sum of their individual songs/movements. Wish You Were Here definitely falls in that category.

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #26 of 60
Has anyone of you ever paid attention to the lyrics of the first four King Crimson albums? Peter Sinfield is one of the best lyricists I have ever seen.

Here are some of my favorite verses:

"Go Polonius or kneel
The reapers name their harvest dawn
All your tarnished devil's spoons
Will rust beneath our corn.
Now bears Prince Rupert's garden roam
Across his rain tree shaded lawn
Lizard bones become the clay -
And there a Swan is born
" Lizard - Title song

" Impaled on nails of ice
And raked with emerald fire
The wife with soul of snow
With steady hands begins to write:"
The Letters - Islands

"Heroes hands drain stones for blood
To whet the scaling knife.
Magi blind with visions light
Net death in dread of life.
Their children kneel in jesus till
They learn the price of nail;
Whilst all around our mother earth
Waits balanced on the scales."
In The Wake of Poseidon - Title song

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #27 of 60
I can't focus on lyrics, and for most prog rock I find that lyrics are the weakest aspect of the music (King Crimson not excluded). They're pretty meaningless, which I'm ok with.

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #28 of 60
I focus on lyrics and music by equal when listening to prog rock, but when it comes to metal, intrumental metal is my favorite kind of metal.

bands like Genesis, Yes, TFK (not classic)
others like Gentle Giant and Tull,  ... well, them lyrics arent anything special to write home about.

but instrumental prog is the ****. Mahavishnu Orchestra, gong, soft machine, hatfield and the north, return to forever... and pretty much all the Fusion and Canterbury scene.

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #30 of 60
I can't disagree more.

Quote:
I can't focus on lyrics, and for most prog rock I find that lyrics are the weakest aspect of the music (King Crimson not excluded). They're pretty meaningless, which I'm ok with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back