60hz Powerline buzz picked up by UNPLUGGED headphones??
Jun 29, 2014 at 5:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Simon C

New Head-Fier
I just rewired and packed the cans on a set of stanton dynaphase 60 headphones. 
Now i'm picking up a 60hz buzz in each ear, with the headphones UNPLUGGED. 
I can hear it when i get closer to a dimmer switch, or if someone turns on the light. it is very apparent. 
Is there any way to prevent this from happening? I didn't change the structure of the wiring really, so why would I be picking up this hum? 
It is really annoying, and I would like to make it stop. 
If it is of note, these headphones have a built in passive crossover with a coil and capacitor. 

Please help, this is really annoying. 

Jun 29, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #2 of 3
Perhaps a new (insulated) cable might help?

Jun 29, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 3
Rewired, I think, is the key. Chances are there's a dry joint in there somewhere. The kind of radiated energy you're talking about needs a high impedance environment or rectification (or amplification) to become audible. This is only likely to occur in the circumstances you describe because you have introduced a 'pseudo' component, such as a cracked or incompletely wetted joint which is acting as a high resistance or perhaps a diode. Although I say "likely to occur", this is not at all likely, but I find myself struggling for any other explanation, except perhaps that you have completely rearranged the circuit and/or damaged some components.

Remake all the joints by removing any surplus solder with a clean iron, hot enough to reflow the joint almost immediately. Support the work so that the parts remain immobile. Do not linger with the iron.

Post a photo.

w

Users who are viewing this thread

Back