Mar 11, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #2 of 8
what's the quality of your mp3's? crappily encoded mp3's and downloaded youtube videos perform really badly on high end headphones
try some lossless files and some well-mastered records

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 8
Popping and clipping is, ninety nine time out of a hundred, caused by poorly encoded music, poorly mastered music, or bad source.

The HD25's are particularly revealing of such flaws because they are very detailed.

Are you using an equalizer? If you equalize levels up that causes distortion as well.

Mar 11, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #4 of 8
[size=10.0pt]LOL! HD25’s do not distort. They are DJ headphones so they are meant to be used in very noisy environments (e.g. night clubs) and at extreme volumes. They are also designed to be physically abused. Sennheiser do not produce “bad pairs”[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Any kind of popping sound is usually generated by electronic circuitry and power supplies. The only headphones that might pop and produce strange noises are those powered by batteries. I.e. NC headphones[/size]

[size=10.0pt]It’s possible that the HD’s are perhaps TOO revealing and now you can actually hear the noises that your audio source (player and/or sound files) is producing. [/size]Try another source e.g CD player, Radio, TV, etc and check the sound quality.

[size=10pt]This is obvious but I would also check that the cable is plugged securely into each capsule.[/size]

Mar 11, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #5 of 8
The first thing I would look at is your source quality. A lot of people don't realize that higher quality headphones will bring out the best and the worst in tracks. 

While I wouldn't go so far as saying that Sennheiser doesn't ever produce lemons, their quality control is pretty high to my knowledge. 

Can you give us some information about your setup?
file types, bitrates, soundcard, cellphone, amp if you're running one

Also keep in mind that, generally, higher end audio does tend to tailor towards a more balanced sound, whereas mainstream audio tends to overemphasize bass frequencies at the cost of higher frequencies
This may be why you feel the headphones are a little flat... for most headphones burn-in does play a significant role in opening up bass punch. 

Mar 11, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #6 of 8
If I remember correctly, the SOL Republic Tracks HD is meant to be very bassy. Have you auditioned something else really bassy before? Also, which Shures are you talking about? Some of them are rather bassy.

Mar 11, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #7 of 8
maybe your brain havent adapted yet? i once ordered high quality iem, and at first they sounded normal, then brain adapted and sounded superb , then got another pair with balanced signature. but when i again used it, they sounded like crap some time till brain adapted again.
i admit that source would be in charge, because there exists synergy between source and headphones
and burn in doesnt exist, its only brain phenomen.

Mar 13, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #8 of 8
I used Sony MDR-V7506s for years, thinking that was enough. Then last year I explored. Tried some others and also the HD25 1-II.

I have to say that I'm really, really happy with my HD25 1-IIs. Better with an amp but doesn't need it. I've tried all of the Beats line. The HD25 1-II crushes any of the Beats 'phones, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back