600 Ohm Headphones!?
Dec 3, 2008 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

LaserWolf

New Head-Fier
I was cleaning out my practice room for remodeling and I found this old pair of headphones. I thought they were pretty uninteresting until I saw written on the side 600 ohm. If anyone knows anything about these I'd love to know.

3079983295_40a3b4599c_b.jpg

3079984109_4d5c06fcfa_b.jpg

Dec 3, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 9
Wow, language lab headphones.

Yes, studio headphones are often 600-ohm, but language lab headphones are 600-ohm so that they can plug a whole bunch of them into the same amp in parallel.

Great for learning spanish. Not so much for music.

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #6 of 9
I don't know anything about those headphones really, but I figured I'd point out that they aren't stereo. (At least that's what it looks like). The connector is a 1/4" mono. That means if you plug it into a regular headphone out you'll only get audio in the left ear. The right channel is shorted to the ground, not to the left channel.

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 9
Yeah, if you plug it into a stereo headphone jack you'll just hear the left channel in both ears, and the right channel will be shorted to ground (which could cause problems / damage to the amp).

Dec 4, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxbaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The right channel is shorted to the ground, not to the left channel.

thats the right channel of the amp...

As mentioned the headphones will probably just play the 1 channel in both ears (mono-style)

What was not mentioned was that the right connection is shorted to ground. If your amp dosnt deal well with that kind of abuse dont do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back