~$600 Headphone amp with pre-amp out?
Apr 28, 2013 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

HeroicPenguin

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm currently looking to possibly upgrade my Gilmore Lite to something a little bit better. At first, I was thinking about just getting the DPS for it, but no one seems to be selling it and at that price, I was thinking I might be able to get something a little better too, so I decided I might get a new amp. My two main headphones are my Sennheiser HD600 and Audio-Technica AD2000, so I need the amp to drive both low and high impedance headphones. I also would like a pre-amp, since I'm moving to a larger place next year and would like to start a speaker set-up in the near future and that would be quite useful.

My current DAC is the Musical Fidelity V-DAC II with the V-PSU II. I think it's a fairly decent DAC and I'm not really considering any combo DAC/amps, although I'll definitely consider them if they're great. I like the neutral sound of the GLite, but a bit more warmth might be nice. The amp that I was considering the most was the Woo WA6 with a pre-amp, but I'm not sure they make them with pre-amps anymore. I'm currently interested in tube amps, so that would be my preference, although it's not necessary. I also like the idea of tube rolling and that this can be a way of upgrading. I also considered the Burson Soloist, but I think that's too expensive for me right now. Are there any other suggestions? I saw a Melos SHA-1, but I don't think that's necessarily better than my GLite.

Apr 28, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 4
Used GS-1 is in the $600 vicinity.  Its a nice step up from the GL.  A $600 source upgrade might also be something for you to consider.

Apr 28, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
Used GS-1 is in the $600 vicinity.  Its a nice step up from the GL.  A $600 source upgrade might also be something for you to consider.

Definitely considered a GS-1, since I do like my GLite. I'm not sure how frequently the GS-1 is sold though and I did a quick search and they seem to go for around $800 on the FS forums. Might be a bit too much for me.

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #4 of 4
I think (and don't quote me on this one) the 800-1000 ones are the ones with stepped attenuator.  The standard potentiometer ones are the ones you should be looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back