$60 and under Over-ear closed back
Mar 22, 2014 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Dnaudio

New Head-Fier
I've been looking for a while for a new pair of headphones and i've finally looked around enough to actually post something. I am looking for a large pair of over-ear headphones, with high noise cancellation, that are extremely comfortable and have a closed back design. Last year i did research on this website to find a pair of headphones. I ended up deciding to go with the JVC HA-S500 because of there large following and the low end price. I absolutely love the HA-S500 however they can be uncomfortable because the sit on my ear. I love the sound of the HA-S500s as well the bass heavy sound really works well with what i watch and i can always turn down the bass when i don't want it.

I am now looking for a pair of headphones that are able to be worn for hours at my desk with no comfort issues, surround my entire ear completely in the cup have plenty of padding to keep everything cushy. I also like the more bass heavy headphones like my HA-S500s so that would be a nice touch but i can deal with lower levels of bass. 

I have looked through many headphones already and this is the results.

Skullcandy Mix master mike- I actually really liked these headphones even though they are skullcandy, only reason i didn't get these was because of the price and because of the cheap plastic construction at that price. I found the ear pads on these headphones to be great, very comfortable. The sound was great for what i wanted. 

Bose QC-15- I really loved these headphones as well. The only reason i didn't buy these on the spot was because of the price, i really can't justify that kind of money for something i can easily break. Although these are small and on-ear the amount of noise cancelation and comfort the gave was good enough for me to include it in this list.

Turtle beach X12 - I found these extremly extremly comfortable. I don't know how long that comfort would have lasted but for the 10 minutes i wore them i couldn't even tell i was wearing them. I also found the sound quality to be very crisp, not the best but they were also gaming headphones.

Sennheiser assortment - I have tried many different Sennheiser's at different stores and every one i have tried that were over ear have way to much clamping force. Not to mention i really don't like the sound reproduction of them.

That being said, really all examples i gave are out of my price range so that's why i'm here. Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

Mar 22, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 15
  I am now looking for a pair of headphones that are able to be worn for hours at my desk with no comfort issues, surround my entire ear completely in the cup have plenty of padding to keep everything cushy. I also like the more bass heavy headphones like my HA-S500s so that would be a nice touch but i can deal with lower levels of bass. 
That being said, really all examples i gave are out of my price range so that's why i'm here. Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

JVC now has the HA-S680 model, larger ear pads then then the HA-S500.
Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80), $55, are the best sounding headphones I have, for under $100.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gemini-Gemini-DJ-HSR-1000-Professional-Monitoring-Headphones-Black-/351014862615?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item51ba1dbf17

Mar 22, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 15
  Sennheisers clamp too much? The HD280/380s right? QC15s clamp waaayyy harder, if you're talking about anything < HD518s.

I don't know i kind of  found if fishy that all the Sennheisers clamped so much, i'm guessing the reason the QC15s didn't clamp that much were because they were display models and got stretched out. I really liked the QC15's they just fit right even though they were pretty small, plus they had the amazing active noise canceling which was great. 

Mar 22, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #5 of 15
  JVC now has the HA-S680 model, larger ear pads then then the HA-S500.
Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80), $55, are the best sounding headphones I have, for under $100.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gemini-Gemini-DJ-HSR-1000-Professional-Monitoring-Headphones-Black-/351014862615?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item51ba1dbf17

The HA-S680's look really nice but someone said they aren't very good at isolation because of their bass port. I really want something that focuses on comfort and noise isolation. 

Mar 22, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 15
  The HA-S680's look really nice but someone said they aren't very good at isolation because of their bass port. I really want something that focuses on comfort and noise isolation. 

I just ordered the HA-S680 a few minutes ago, it will take a few days to ship from the Rising Sun to Silicon Valley.
I'll post back a mini review when I get it, test it out at the local Starbucks.

Besides the Gemini HSR-1000, not sure what else to recommend.

Mar 22, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #8 of 15
I just have to jump in and recommend the Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80) too. The bass on it is excellent in so many ways with great sub-bass and extension. The presence of the other frequencies is very clear and present. I still can't believe how amazing these are for $55 USD. I listen primarily to EDM, pop, and hip hop and use a fiio eo7k to get the perfect sound. I know they are not the big names but the build quality is excellent and with the Brainwavz HM5 pads make them really comfy for long hours of listening.

Mar 23, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #10 of 15
Dnaudio - Please let us know what you think of the Gemini's. Hope you like them as much as I do...because that would be a lot!

Mar 23, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #11 of 15
Purple Angel - I would be interested in hearing your impression of the HA-S680.

Mar 23, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #12 of 15
Purple Angel - I would be interested in hearing your impression of the HA-S680.

They have not yet shipped from Japan, but I would assuming they will go out sometime on Monday, should only take a few days to arrive.
If I fail to post a review by Friday, remind me.

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #13 of 15
OK. Thanks. I will.

Mar 30, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #14 of 15
Update on the HSR-1000.  My headphones showed up on Friday in the mail. 

First impressions:

I was very impressed with the build quality of the headphones. They seem to be build with pretty quality materials and seem to be very durable. The have a lot of flex which i like because it makes them feel even more durable. The padding is pretty hefty and seem like they should provide the some extreme comfort. The cable it very thick and has a very nice rubberized coating. Most headphones i have fear of wrecking the cable because they are two thin or don't have good flex on them. The only concerns i have with this cable is that it is quite heavy so it tends to twist the headphones on your head and adds a pressure on your ear. also the connection at the 3.5 jack end could end up being a problem but only time will show that. I forgot to mention that the cable has a coiled section so if you are moving from the source any you have plenty of stretch but this also adds alot to the weight problem i discussed before. The biggest negative i found of these headphones is something that i read was only really me. These headphones are literally just too small. I always want that one more notch from the adjuster and there isn't more room. I feel like they sit high on my head and it annoys me. This also may be because they haven't been worked in so this may get better.

Positive:

Durable Cable
Heavy construction
Thick comfy pads
Flexible design 
Long Cable

Negatives:

Heavy cable
Long Cable

Listening:

So when i first got my headphones i ripped open the packaging and threw them on my head. When i first listened to the headphones i was extremely disappointed. There bass was extremely overpowering, the highs were recessed, the mids were drowned by the lows and it just sounds muddled. My Ha-550 on the other hand when i first got them had a bright high section with a overpowering bass section which i liked much more. The HSR-1000s also didn't fit my head when i first put them on which was annoying. I was slightly disappointed with my buy but really wasn't to worried because the isolation of these headphones is exactly what i wanted and they would be extremely comfortable if they would fit my head. 

I'm using the HSR-1000s right now and my attitude has been completely transformed. After being broke in through a couple hours of listening the sound has completely straightened out. The sound is so accurate and clear that you can track every note. They have a pretty good sound stage which my other headphones lack. As of right now the sound is pretty great, and i have yet to mess with the EQ, but i feel like the treble is a bit recessed still as well as some low frequencies. The treble is the only  one that i would like to brighten up, it just doesn't scream enough. As with fitment, the headphones seam to have broken in in fitment a bit as well because they fit better now as well. 

Positves:

Very clear and accurate
Great Noise isolation
Very comfortable

Negatives:

Not as Bright as i would like
Fitment on my head was a problem

Only time will tell if they improve, i think that they are fairly broken in now and i think i will be left wanting. These are extremely good headphones, and for the price they are amazing. I like the natural imperfections of my HA-550s better but thats strictly my preferences. These headphones are much more accurate, have a better sound stage, and are much more comfortable. If you are looking in this price range for a great pair of comfortable headphones and you don't plan on traveling with them on  these would be perfect.

Mar 30, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #15 of 15
On the Takstar thread it is mentioned quite freqently that these phones were designed for smaller heads (Chinese heads in particular). You might find that putting on the Brainwavz HM5 pads gives you a little extra room as well as better isolation and bass extension.

As for the highs, I felt they were too bright for me and I have the treble dialed to -2 on my fiio eo7k. You might be able to boost them with the right portable amp.

Last but not least, it was stressed on the Takstar thread to give them 200 hours of burn in which was what I did and it made a HUGE difference to my ears. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back