6 wires: braid, twist, or other?
Sep 18, 2007 at 9:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

FooTemps

500+ Head-Fier
Well I have a dilemma, I'm currently recabling some headphones with 26 awg cotton copper. I'm using 6 strands for a 1 signal 2 ground setup for each channel. I intend to use the headphones for home-ish use. I might use it for travel but no outdoor/public use.

Currently I have already braided after the y-split with a 3 strand braid for each side. I'm thinking of doing a 6 strand flat braid or square/round braid. I asked a buddy of mine who said that it probably wasn't worth it to do an ugly braid like a 6-strand litz though.

Is it even worth it to braid or will twisting suffice and hold up for normal use?

Sep 18, 2007 at 11:02 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by FooTemps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I have a dilemma, I'm currently recabling some headphones with 26 awg cotton copper. I'm using 6 strands for a 1 signal 2 ground setup for each channel. I intend to use the headphones for home-ish use. I might use it for travel but no outdoor/public use.

Currently I have already braided after the y-split with a 3 strand braid for each side. I'm thinking of doing a 6 strand flat braid or square/round braid. I asked a buddy of mine who said that it probably wasn't worth it to do an ugly braid like a 6-strand litz though.

Is it even worth it to braid or will twisting suffice and hold up for normal use?

One question, why are you using 2 wires for ground and only one for signal? This will probably not bring any advantage, only probably a stiffer and heavier wire. I would go with a simpler 4 wire braid until the Ysplit and then twist the two wires from there till the headphones.

Sep 18, 2007 at 11:30 AM Post #3 of 14
indeed, the 4-wire method is what I did for my recable and I was wondering the same thing... why a 2-wire ground / 1-wire signal?

@ Masantos: are you still adding braids to your tutorial? I loved your clear explanations, but I am also interested in learning round 4-wire, 6 wire and 8 wire braids (I know how to do a round/square 8 wire-braid, but was wondering about other types as well)

Sep 18, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Televator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
indeed, the 4-wire method is what I did for my recable and I was wondering the same thing... why a 2-wire ground / 1-wire signal?

@ Masantos: are you still adding braids to your tutorial? I loved your clear explanations, but I am also interested in learning round 4-wire, 6 wire and 8 wire braids (I know how to do a round/square 8 wire-braid, but was wondering about other types as well)

I was living away for 6 months and right now I am starting my own company so I really have no time to research and developo the tutorial

Regarding the 4 wire, I don't know any more braids than the ones I have in the tut. I would like to add the 6 and 8 wire braids, but I don't know when that will happen.

Manuel

Sep 18, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 14
Well, it does make a difference in sound enough for me to want to try it. I don't really know why or how it works but it sounds different for sure.

lol, I have to remember that this is head-fi. I can't believe I got 4 replies and no one actually answered my question directly.

Head-fi home of "I'm not going to answer you question but provide a completely different solution" posts.

edit:
I decided to do a round braid.

Sep 19, 2007 at 8:42 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Head-fi home of "I'm not going to answer you question but provide a completely different solution" posts.

I see what you're saying there, but still, it has to be said... You do realise that everything that flows through ground also flows through your signal wire? A low impedance ground isn't any more important than low impedance signal. Chances are if you can hear a difference then the signal wire isn't adequate either and you'd get an improvement by upgrading it.

Sep 19, 2007 at 9:21 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jambo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see what you're saying there, but still, it has to be said... You do realise that everything that flows through ground also flows through your signal wire? A low impedance ground isn't any more important than low impedance signal. Chances are if you can hear a difference then the signal wire isn't adequate either and you'd get an improvement by upgrading it.

Thanks for acknowledging that fact. Only problem is that going a wider bandwidth starts to get harder for making cables. I already had a hell of a time doing a 6 strand round braid, I'd rather not do 2 4 strands into an 8 strand if you know what I mean. Not to mention I don't have enough wire
tongue.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #11 of 14
Foo temps

It would appear that Ray Kimber shares your views on 2 wire grounds. His three stranded all silver, teflon coated, Kimber KCAG interconnect is braided AND has two grounds with only one signal! Few would argue about the results audiophiles get with this cable over the last 20 years.

You are in good company. Do what sounds right to you.

Sep 19, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Thanks for acknowledging that fact. Only problem is that going a wider bandwidth starts to get harder for making cables. I already had a hell of a time doing a 6 strand round braid, I'd rather not do 2 4 strands into an 8 strand if you know what I mean. Not to mention I don't have enough wire
tongue.gif

Just increase the gauge with more thread strands. There's no need to use 2 wires, just thicker overall. 2 24awg wires is 21awg, for example. If you wanted more ground wires, you could just run a 20awg ground and a 24awg signal and maintain a 4 wire configuration.

Sep 20, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #14 of 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back