6 channels over Dolby Headphone SPDIF
Dec 30, 2018 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hifinoob005

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I have a Xonar DGX and would like to use the Dolby Headphone feature via SPDIF. Specifications state that PCM only supports 2 channels in this output.

Origin source will be 6/8 channel. Final output is headphone.
Does Dolby Headphone mix the 6/8 channels into 2 channels so it will work fine, or will it be some sort of 6/8 channel PCM ( or Dolby/DTS if the source is such).

Thank you.

Dec 30, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #2 of 7
The Asus Xonar DGX will take in 6-channels (5.1) of PCM digital audio and convert it into 2-channels of Dolby Headphone (24-bit/96k max), which can then go thru (as PCM digital audio) the S/PDIF digital port, to lets say an external DAC (2-channel DAC)
Or you can enable the DGX's DDL (Dolby Digital Live), which will take in 6-channels of digital audio and compress it (24-bit/48K max) and send it thru the S/PDIF optical port and whatever device the optical connection goes to would also have to have DDL (like an A/V receiver) to then convert the compressed signal back to 6-channel of PCM audio (24bit/48K max).

Dec 30, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 7
Dec 31, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 7
The Uni drivers don't have it either.
Wow, did not know DDL had been removed from the drivers, I use the Uni drivers.
But you have not need for DDL anyway. as the Dolby Headphone output, thru S/PDIF is a 2-channel PCM audio signal.

Just figured out that in the Uni control panel, the Audio Channel needs to be set to 6-channel or 8-channel for the Dolby Headphone option to be offered.

Jan 2, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #7 of 7
Just figured out that in the Uni control panel, the Audio Channel needs to be set to 6-channel or 8-channel for the Dolby Headphone option to be offered.

Output needs to set on Headphone to enable DH. Audio Channel setting does not make a difference.
DDL is still not present regardless of settings. I don't have anything connected via SPDIF, maybe it would show up then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back