6 channel external DAC
Jun 15, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by epion2985
I am looking for an external DAC to output to from my sound card. Can anyone recomend one that can output 5.1 surround?

Quote:

haha, you tell me. Can I output 5.1 optical/coaxial from my sound card to one?

Perhaps not, but sure they can input from soundcard and output 5.1 surround as you asked
eggosmile.gif

Maybe you can find the one you're looking after listed @
http://search.ecoustics.com/Editoria...lpha-Name/All/

jiitee

BTW: Are systems like Lynx Aurora 8 capable for 5.1 surround ?

Jun 16, 2006 at 11:48 AM Post #6 of 11
You can easily get a "surround" reciever to accept the 48 khz via toslink or coaxial.

I am currently experimenting with my new pioneer elite integrated amp.

1) using the DAC in my Headroom Desktop currently, though I will be testing the coax directly into the pioneer's input jack and see how its DAC performs.

While this is designed for up to a 7.1 system, I use just the stereo out to my 2 speakers.

2) I do plan to test both biwiring the speakers from the amp, and using the last surround amp to bi-amp my speakers.

I find at this point that the headroom Desktop unit makes a great DAC/Preamp for the speaker amp.

Jun 16, 2006 at 11:48 AM Post #7 of 11
I have my lovely ATH-A900LTD's and I love them. I was going to get the Presonus Central Station for my external dac, but now I matured for some nice speakers. The central station as great as it is only handles 2 channals so it wouldnt really cut it here. I looked at some of these HT receivers and alot are around $200-300 and they do so much more the the CS. Which leads me to believe as I have been told in the CS which is $500, alot more, yet it doesnt do all that much, meaning you are mainly paying for the dac. Which leads me to believe the dacs in the HT receivers around $300 are really ******. Am I right?

On the headroom Desktop unit the amp is $599 and then the dac is +$249.99. $848 hmmm. With 5 medium sized table speakers I would need a bigger amp anyway, dont see the point in spending 599, its the DAC I really need.

I was thinking 5 of these. But I would glady take any recomandations as I know little myself.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1138085816020

Jun 16, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

I have my lovely ATH-A900LTD's and I love them. I was going to get the Presonus Central Station for my external dac, but now I matured for some nice speakers. The central station as great as it is only handles 2 channals so it wouldnt really cut it here. I looked at some of these HT receivers and alot are around $200-300 and they do so much more the the CS. Which leads me to believe as I have been told in the CS which is $500, alot more, yet it doesnt do all that much, meaning you are mainly paying for the dac. Which leads me to believe the dacs in the HT receivers around $300 are really ******. Am I right?

I wouldn't make such direct comparison like you did
--> let's say, Yamaha buys 5-20 million DAC's/year from BB/TI (and much more other components) and a smalll manufacturer buys just couple of 1000's/year (like Presonus would do) --> do you think the unit price they pay will be the same?

It's massproduction (huge/realtime component delivery, automation, products composed mostly by the robots) that allows them keep the impact of couple DAC's in product low.

Also, components like opamps can cost quite much (like OPA627 --> around $60 each or even more).

jiitee

Jun 16, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #9 of 11
I see, thanks for the information. Mass production does make things cheaper but it only goes so far because for the nice equipment even if they can make it for less they will charge that and more just because its high end type equipment. And it has always proven it self to me that you get what you pay for. But I see your point.

Well myself I know little about quality and brand names in the audio industry, set me up guys if you dont mind. Basically need a dac to output 5.1 to from my sound card, a set of speakers and I am guessing an amp (unlese the dac is something like a HT receiver and has an amp in it).

Looking overall at about $1000. What do you think?
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back